Day Trip To The Primitive Stoneage Shelter

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Hi All,

This Sunday I went out the the woods and spend the day at the primitive stone age shelter. Below is a short video filmed while there.

[video=youtube;y53FtaSYzBo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y53FtaSYzBo&lc=z12kefo oykzeebfj304ccrix1v3hv3kxhpk0k[/video]

Over the years going to the woods my focus has changed several times, currently I feel I am getting more from time in the woods than I have ever done before. Less focused on what I take into the woods and more what I can do in the woods.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Brilliant! That's a cool shelter.
It would be nice if you could post the build method or "skeleton" so to speak , so we can all have a go at building one..
Very much agree with you on taking less kit on an outing like this and wanting to make more of your own kit ...

It's totally different from a weekend camp with friends ...
Tarps and stoves etc.

Anyways, interesting to know also, how does the smoke (and carbon monoxide) behave inside? Does it all just get out or some remain in the apex of shelter ?
Oh and I love your bacon grill mate..👍👍 lovely stuff!

Look forward to seeing some more paleo shelters tools and mods...

Thank for sharing 👍

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
That was good, nice presentation style.

Your hand broom, if it starts to loosen or you lose a stick or two, don't retie the roots tighter, sharpen a short stick to a longish taper and push it into the handle end. That'll both tighten it back up and give you a little extra length so you don't have to bend over so far while standing up.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Brilliant! That's a cool shelter.
It would be nice if you could post the build method or "skeleton" so to speak , so we can all have a go at building one..
Very much agree with you on taking less kit on an outing like this and wanting to make more of your own kit ...

It's totally different from a weekend camp with friends ...
Tarps and stoves etc.

Anyways, interesting to know also, how does the smoke (and carbon monoxide) behave inside? Does it all just get out or some remain in the apex of shelter ?
Oh and I love your bacon grill mate.. lovely stuff!

Look forward to seeing some more paleo shelters tools and mods...

Thank for sharing 

The plans are to build more shelters this year, the first would be a smaller wood store shelter using the same techniques used on the groupe shelter which will be documented on youtube as and when it is done. The plans also include several smaller 2 man shelters/sweat lodge style.

I love the kit i have and use, but its no longer my focus, as you say its totally different from a weekend with mate.

The smoke from the fire in the shelter is trapped at the top of the shelter and aids in smothering any embers that may find their way up there, the smoke then permeates through the reeds, once going the smoke dies down and the fire is very efficient and warms the shelter nicely. Sitting down there is no smoke but i dont suggest standing up in the rafters for too long.

Dont forget to check out the full bacon grill video (personally was one of my favorite videos) also the Wilderness Pioneers channel will have more paleo/tools and technique videos through out the year.

Cheers Tim.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
That was good, nice presentation style.

Your hand broom, if it starts to loosen or you lose a stick or two, don't retie the roots tighter, sharpen a short stick to a longish taper and push it into the handle end. That'll both tighten it back up and give you a little extra length so you don't have to bend over so far while standing up.

Thanks, i dont really like talking on video so it was something i was trying for this video.

Thanks for the tip, i had not thought about that pushing in the sticks to tighten, i had thought about putting a handle on but for space issues and size of area it needed to be used i decided agaist it. (time will tell if that was a bad idea)

Cheers Tim

bearbait

Interesting vid, thanks.

You mentioned about the knot for your broom. The Ashley Constrictor Knot or Double Constrictor Knot are good ones. However I've never tried them in natural cordage. But, with care, they may work well due to the potential friction already inherent in the natural cordage.

Also the wedge idea mentioned above by Adze is a goody...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE