Day kit (pics)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
Thought I'd share some pis of my day bag. I use the haversack if going overnight also.

40e1b1c3a6ce2857e18f4358448424de.jpg

I use an alpini pack with all the paracord replaced with leather. It has had a light waxing also. As has the modified Czech gas mask bag. Waxed canvas with brass clips.

08f504dfe5e8d09f6934fd526917bc88.jpg

Inside the main bag are pretty self explanatory.

ee482d0aaa6b868d226811e9021e3644.jpg

The leather pouch contains a tinder box with Flint and steel and a small brass torch and compass. I tend to fold up a local area map in here too when going to new areas.

e5d0f12bf38f81882c0fcb8e6c0d3efa.jpg

The small brown leather bag contains a spool of jute twine which can be pulled out without opening the bag. It keeps it all together and not a birds nest! Also handy for fire starting. I have made a small length 3m? Of jute rope too and waxed it. Used as a ridge line.

7dfd9d528962bb5c4b6d1bad2e01dc81.jpg

Cutting tools are a GB wilderness axe, re-handled bk2 and an opinel no6. The bk2 doesn't go all the time as the other 2 do nearly all I require.

cc7050a384a47c339005f13384791241.jpg

22bd0654a60c61546f742d3956509c63.jpg

For food and drink prep I use a billy can / hobo stove and a swedish volcano stove to purify / make hot water.

I also have a mil bank bag in the bottom of the pack and I am in the process of making an oilskin tarp to replace my DD solo tarp.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
I really have no idea how much it comes in at including food and water. It's certainly not uncomfortably heavy, small packs so can't really carry to much. If I take my lavvu tent it does make a noticeable difference.

I have a berghaus centurion mmps 35l pack and when that's packed with everything + banshee tent it's more uncomfortable. (May be due to the pack tho).

I tend to enjoy myself more if I use more retro kit. It's more immersive I find.

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
Really nice gear mate! What knife is that? it looks like a modded army issue blade! (no offence mean't if its not!)

The fixed blade one is a modified KABAR bk2. Coating stripped and rehandled with walnut scales. It's a monster, would use it to hammer nails in and not worry about damaging it.

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
Cheers guys, my Egyptian cotton bedsheet tarp is nearly done, just working out whether to fabsil, Greenland wax or boiled linseed oil / thinners to waterproof it. Choices choices.

smudge, the Czech gas mask bags are fantastic. I removed the bottom loops, shortened the leather straps and added brass clips so it now closes by clipping to the metal rings on the base. Waxed it and removed the inner pouch(what is that for?). Turned it into a small dump pouch for my belt(mostly fr tinder).

Great wee bags. The alpini packs are just so nice looking. Love the boxy shape thy have.

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
I use a bag. Specifically the green intermediate bag from the USMC sleep system. Usually with the same system bivi bag over it. I would like a plain green bivi but until the one I have packs in It will do.

I own a Yugoslavian wool blanket which is very warm but living in Scotland it's still not ideal most of the time. I will use it one day perhaps with my bag as backup. But when it comes to staying warm all night and getting a good kip, particularly when it's just tarp camping I prefer the enclosed warmth of a bag just now.

I usually use a 3/4 length "multimat" for sleeping on. Very compact and very cosy. Keeps air all night too. If environment permits I'll make a bed from what's available. Or even just padding!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE