Day in the woods - Pics

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Enjoyed a great day in the woods with the two boys today, didn't really do much, just had a great laugh.

First job when we got there was to set up my new DD 4x4m tarp and get all the lines sorted out (photo taken long after we had it set up)

DSCN8113.jpg

We decided today, that for a change and because we could, we would have a fire, we don't do this that often, although we have permission to have a fire whenever we want, we feel it is a privilege, not a right to have one and for a day trip, you dont really need one, especially as we all carry Monkey Boy stoves for day trips, but today, we thought we would have a fire, so i tasked the two boys with getting a fire sorted, it was going to be a challenge for them as well as it only stopped raining a few hours earlier, so everything was still wet.

The boys splitting some Hazel rounds with the axe

DSCN8115.jpg

DSCN8118.jpg

then with tinder, kindling and fuel sorted it was time to fire it up, you can see from our fire patch, how long ago it was we last had a fire here

DSCN8120.jpg

took a little while to get going, but youngest got it going

DSCN8133.jpg

DSCN8139.jpg

DSCN8143.jpg

Had a bit of a look around to see if anything had fallen since out last visit, thankfully nothing had

DSCN8151.jpg

shelter up, fire going, brew on - perfect

DSCN8153.jpg

just messin' in the woods

DSCN8161.jpg

The 'kitchen'

DSCN8163.jpg

some lovely old oaks here, some of them are going to be felled this winter so the landowner can make a new Sussex Barn, really looking forward to it, it will be a superb learning experience, got to do a bat survey in the woods first though - just in case some of the trees are used as a roost.

DSCN8170.jpg

Time was getting on, so we had a very slow pack up, the camp as we left it

DSCN8190.jpg

then a slow wander out of the woods back to the car and home, will be back up here next week for a few days hopefully

DSCN8191.jpg

DSCN8193.jpg

Last edited:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Cheers guys, was a great day out in the sunshine with superb company:)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
that it was RM,. eldest is coming with us on Thursday, oh yes he joined the thwack, thwack, twang hammock club today as well:lmao:

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Looks a nice place Kepis mate, must say you do seem to pick fine days to go camping, apart from our last one together.
See you Thursday.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
cheers guys, out again next week for at least a couple of days we hope:)

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Looks like a great spot you have there ,just one question ,is that a natural clearing, or is i kept that way for people to use
Its just these type of clearings in woods dont tend to last long ,as nature takes them back very quickly

Jason

ps good pics and set up you have there

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
just one question ,is that a natural clearing, or is i kept that way for people to use
Its just these type of clearings in woods dont tend to last long ,as nature takes them back very quickly

It was an open(ish) area in the woods, no undergrowth as such, as the big Oaks shaded everything out, well apart from a few Hazels, it became a larger clearing when the Oak we use as a bench, table, chopping block etc fell a couple of years back, we are the only people to have the use of these woods, so what you see is for our exclusive use, Joe Public is not allowed in here and there are no public rights of way in the woods, even the landowner, now refers to them as "my" woods, to the extent, that when he told me he was taking some Oaks down later this year he said "i have to remove some Oaks from your woods", we are very lucky to have these woods and the landowner is brilliant about things.

Where the sunlight hits the forest floor now there are loads of Ash trees germinating, but as we use these woods a fair bit, they tend to just get trampled down

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE