Dartmouth

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Is it OK to wild camp on Dartmoor and can you light a fire?

Also I am thinking of going wild camping in Scotland but a friend of mine is concerned that you are not allowed to light fires there. But what I can gather from the 'Wild Camping, A Guide to Good Practice' leaflet from the Mountaineering Council of Scotland you are allowed to light fires as long as you are responsible.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Fires are a no-no, but theres naff all to burn except on Forestry commission land anyway.

Don't be put off by that. The area arount Postbridge is fantastic - the Warren House Inn is a "must do" for all Bushie types, good camping on the other side of the road.

Check out Fernworthy forest and resevoir, Postbridge and Two Bridges as well

Red

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
You are allowed to wild camp on Dartmoor in specific areas - you can download a guide to these from the Dartmoor website.

http://www.dartmoor-npa.gov.uk/index/visiting/vi-enjoyingdartmoor/vi-wildcamping.htm

Fires are not allowed and some places are off limits at some times in the year due to breeding birds, etc. Some places are parts of firing ranges and you have to check firing times or you're going to get woken up with quite a shock.

Also you're going to need a tent as there are few places to use more bushcrafty things like hammocks, etc.You will also need - I can't stress this enough - maps and compass and know how to use them and what to do in adverse weather. Dartmoor is a strange beast that has a climate all of its own.

I walk on Dartmoor often, know it quite well, but I will make sure I have enough to keep me safe all night even if I am only planning on walking for a day. I go alone most often though so I make sure I'm safe.

I'm planning on wild camping there some time in the year. Let me know if you're after some company.

Tim

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Best to check the local regulations on the places you're planning to visit. Many place fires are a big no no as the peaty soil can catch and burn for months underground unknown. Not actually wild camped there so not sure. But I think some estates in Scotland may be ok - espescially if you can show you know what you're doing and won't burn the woods down ;)

You may want to look into the Breacon Beacons in Wales. Not sure they allow fires but a friend of mine regularly goes there and says the scenery is simply stunning. Thinking of it - the army train on the Breacons all the time and I bet they burn all kinds of stuff so you may be ok. I can ask my friend if you wish.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I'm going there in August, so will miss you lot.

Mace in the leaflet I mentioned earlier it says about fires being a no no on peat soil. Maybe Wales would be a better prospect, if you can light fires? I'll be gutted if I can't as the majority of my cooking gear is setup for use on an open fire. :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE