Dartmoor hiking + wild camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tagaeri

Jan 20, 2014
West Cornwall
Hi folks,
As the weather improves I'd like to make my first trip to Dartmoor. Can anyone recommend a good hiking route that takes 2-3 days and some good wild camping spots? I'll be coming from Cornwall.
Cheers!

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I've said it before on here I always enjoy a North South or South North walk across Dartmoor. I started in Okehampton, stopped overnight on Great Mis Tor (I think) through Princetown then South to Ivybridge. I used a book 365 days on Dartmoor which gives you a point of interest in each sq mile. Check out the range activity for the North moor, my info on where to get that would be out of date. Generally I found the North moor all the better for a lack of people although weekdays on the South moor can be quiet. Be careful of the water and make sure you have a successful treatment,if in doubt boil.

racer66

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2013
london
I have followed the Two Moors way and Abbots Way before, both nice routes, the actual paths do seem to differ in physical location by a good few meters at times from the OS map, and they are not distinct paths like Lakes etc. Avoid the 'baby heads' mounds of marsh which from a distance look easy to cross but are buggers really!

Check out Dartmoor Park Authority, as there are actualy areas in the park boundary where wild camping is not permitted still. But generally out of site and leave no trace is accepted.

Some good route discussions on here.

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/walking-and-climbing/dartmoor-route-help/65070.html

I enjoy the walks everytime, and often go on my own. Next trip will be hammocking and trying to find places to string my hammock on tors!

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
I might have some detailed routes via route cards if I can find them; do you know about route cards? As I'm in Kernow I could pop down at a mutual arrangement and run through a route or two with you?

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

Tuscor

Tenderfoot
Mar 12, 2014
Bristol
https://backpackingbongos.wordpress.com/2012/07/08/a-squelchy-backpack-across-north-dartmoor/ - my wife and I will be attempting something similar to this walk at Easter.

The usual warnings apply to the ranges - check ahead to make sure there are no live firing's scheduled for when you plan to walk. Also, I think the place where this gentleman camped on the first night might actually be outside the designated 'wild camping allowed' area... but thats easily rectified.

I'm super keen for our easter walk. Planning gear and menus already! Funnily enough, my wife is pregnant too... so we'll be taking it pretty easy, and will be ready to 'bug out' should things get hectic!

Last edited:

Tagaeri

Jan 20, 2014
West Cornwall
Janso, that would be great - many thanks! PM me if you find them at some point and I'll buy you a pint sometime (I'm in St Hillary, near Penzance)...

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
I know St Hilary!! Lived in plain an Gwarry!! I'll have a dig through my stuff, should have a fair few bits from taking students up there mate. N to S is a contender though for 2/3 days timescale

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Sorry mate; have been snowed under last few weeks. Should finish a job in good time Saturday if you're free late afternoon?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tagaeri

Jan 20, 2014
West Cornwall
No worries Janso, I wasn't bumping you - just seeing if anyone else had some route ideas. I could do early evening on Saturday, 5-6ish. PM me if that's any good. Many thanks!

Bakwas

Apr 29, 2015
Surrey
Hey, how's the planning going? I'm looking to walk a north - south traverse over the first weekend in June over 2 days with a wild camp in between. I have done a circular 2 day route on Dartmoor before and will post the details when I find them. Hopefully by tomorrow. Not wanting to hijack the thread but my issue is figuring out public transport from Ivybridge to Okehampton on a Sunday afternoon. The local bus info is a little baffling! anyone with any ideas on this and potential routes?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE