Dartmoor 6 " The Great Moorland Bake Off "...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Ah ! Thankyou Adam , for clearing that up , anyway i am having it this w/e and the stick insect can make do with the season 2/3 stinky bag and a fusty old blanket ! A nd if there is any trouble i will eat all of the chocolate ! Oh no there is non left , i wonder who ate all of that and the health bars ?

Paul Webster

Jan 29, 2011
Stroud
Hi Al , thought you had hibernated ! glad you are well , and sending hugs across the country !

Rather off topic ( never happens on these threads !) your hammocky , cosy wrap around thingy ! what is it and how much does it cost ?

Cos I have a seamstress that is thinking about making , something like the snugpak hammock cocoon , seeing as they won't make anymore !

Hey mate, they still make them. But you have to order 10 at a time!

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
That was the coldest ! I have ever camped , - 10 brrrr ! Katie was toasty in her plce system , and didn't stir all night , i awoke a few times a bit cold to say the least .

The second night we wimped out , good job to -12 ! too cold for my old bones in a season 2/3 bag and wool blanket ( note to self must get proper winter bag ! )

Anyway lots of fun , pics to follow via Katie on the secret site .

Paul W . After much investigation Snugpak are no longer making the cocoon , so when my lady has made the bespoke one i will obviously let everyone , give their opinion .

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Not through the site Al , but on the moor yes , there are pics of Katie and I sliding down it , on a garden bag on F/B , we had a wander out to Huntingdon Warren , cor ! it was bitterly cold up there .

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Blimey ! This thread looks positively dormant ! I hope everyone is still coming , as there will be loads of food and drink left over from the 5 1/2 meet ! , and of course being the start of British Summertime , it will be tropical ! So two bean cans a length of paracord and maybe we can keep the two dates in tune with each other.

Its that new secret F/B thing isn't it ?...

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Hi Al , thought you had hibernated ! glad you are well , and sending hugs across the country !

Rather off topic ( never happens on these threads !) your hammocky , cosy wrap around thingy ! what is it and how much does it cost ?

Cos I have a seamstress that is thinking about making , something like the snugpak hammock cocoon , seeing as they won't make anymore !

Sorry for the delay buddy... Not on this area much at mo. The underquilt was made by a maker on here called Unsponsored.
It was (I think) 60 squid at the time and its down, rather than synthetic so it compresses really well :)

Don't get blown away with loads of dosh! A fair amount of swingers prefer a simple foam mat or even a folded over blanky! You can get away with a lot spring onwards.

If I can make it down in march (looking good) we can go over a few set-ups.

atb, al.

Last edited:

LRforestschool

Forager
Jun 27, 2011
West Devon
Still life in this thread. Well me anyway - having found the whole F/B thing far less user-friendly. Don't worry I will come and drink the drink and eat the food!

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Ok It's now time to chuck some more firewood on this thread , and get her stoked up , because it is only about 4 weeks to the bake off ! , so get that kit washed dried and ironed , ready for action !

Because of the numbers expressing an interest in the upcoming meet , it would be great to have a bit of a list of attendees and an idea of catering plans , some of you want to keep their recipes secret , but we must have a bit of order in the woods !

So if anyone spies , peoples intentions on other forums or that farcebook thingy , could somebody add their name on here as a possible .

Thankyou . Ivan..

Also any special requests for walks/ activities etc , fire away with any ideas . Only because this time i have ordered fine weather throughout the whole weekend !

Also I would like to add, it has become apparent that firewood (of reasonable size) is some what low, so if anyone has access to firewood, and the ability to transport it to the parking area, it would be great if you could help us out. The cheaper the better, as we are poor bushcrafters, who have spent all our money on kit/new toys/sharp things/booze/etc :D

I will be able to get a small about of firewood in my tiny little car, but anyone with...ooow, say Land Rovers, VW estates, Vectra estates, Convertibles, 4/8 tonners, Trailers, and the like, feel free to chuck a bag in the boot/bed/trailer/hold/box/whatever :)

Almost premium prices paid !

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Nicely put Adam , firewood is now getting a little thin on the ground . It was always going to become an issue , so in future there will be a small consideration because it will have to be draughed in , and obviously it costs money .

For the " Bake Off " if anyone can bring a bag of logs/kindling along that would be great , and don't worry about carrying it up to site as i can sort that .

Also we may need more than one fire , with all of the woodland chefs performing !

If anyone has any larger cooking vessels they can bring along , that would be magic .

Any other concerns/ suggestions or questions please voice .

Thankyou.

Ivan...

Ichneumon

Nomad
Jul 4, 2011
Lancashire (previously Dartmoor)
Still life in this thread. Well me anyway - having found the whole F/B thing far less user-friendly.

+1. Hear hear Lucy! I also tried it. Rubbish!! An unfriendly, unintuative, all-pervasive, over-intrusive form of computer virus. It was worse than my worst nightmare about it. I have no intention of telling the world such important and life-changing things like whether my dog's got diarrhea or that my drains are blocked, and I'm really not interesting in reading that it happened to other people. Even though I had full security settings by simply adding Arry as a friend I made myself available to the public scrutiny of half the damned planet. I don't mind telling Arry that I found stains in my pyjamas one morning but I don't want all his friends, some of whom are a bit dodgy, to also know about it. :D

So I closed my account faster than you can blink. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE