Darkened blade on Mora 164

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Hi all,
New here, just thought it might be the right place to ask :)

I just purchased a Mora 164 crook knife online, and on arrival I was surprised to find it had a very dark, dull blade. I'm quite new to carving knives so I'm not sure if it's normal?

Here are some pictures:

4aCmKxp.jpg

(With another Mora for reference)

Kc0V0uV.jpg

G65tOOA.jpg

Any help is really appreciated.

Lucien

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Hmmm, never seen anything like that before. On the last pic it looks as if something has been wiped on the blade:confused:.
Hopefully someone will be along in a moment to shed more light on this....

Have to tried to wipe the blade with something to see if it will come off?

May 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Looks like it's had some sort of anti rust coating applied for storage purposes. A bit like bluing.
If that's the case, do I need to do anything with it before use?

Hmmm, never seen anything like that before. On the last pic it looks as if something has been wiped on the blade:confused:.
Hopefully someone will be along in a moment to shed more light on this....

Have to tried to wipe the blade with something to see if it will come off?

I think that's just from my fingers, touch marks seem to be very obvious. If wiped with a cloth the marks disappear but the colour is still there, it seems solid.

Thanks for the replies.

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Not Sure ! contact the seller and ask ? They look like heat marks, but also look like brush strokes maybe it's not been polished after tempering ? (or blueing as Mountainm suggested) or it is a coating that can be wiped off. But strange that the cutting edge hasn't been polished ?

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Mine came with a kind of varnish coating on the blade. It made the knife seem really blunt as well. I used paint thinners to clean it off.

Z

Ps. Buy some plasters!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE