Dark ages hoods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I remember a thread on making a separate hood in Dark Ages style - but for the life of me I cannot find it!
Can someone put me onto it - or give a short tutorial on how to cut one to fit an individuals head/face/shoulders?
I want to make several in various fabrics as I realy dislike attached hoods on jackets.....
Thanks in advance!
Cheers
John

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I remember a thread on making a separate hood in Dark Ages style - but for the life of me I cannot find it!
Can someone put me onto it - or give a short tutorial on how to cut one to fit an individuals head/face/shoulders?
I want to make several in various fabrics as I realy dislike attached hoods on jackets.....
Thanks in advance!
Cheers
John

i got one of those fleece balaclava/hood/neck warmer thingies a while ago and never got on with it.
if it's any use to you as a pattern i'll pop it you in the post mate, it's only taking up room here.

cheers

stuart

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
i got one of those fleece balaclava/hood/neck warmer thingies a while ago and never got on with it.
if it's any use to you as a pattern i'll pop it you in the post mate, it's only taking up room here.

cheers

stuart
Thanks - but I have literally scores of Buffs etc - it is the hood/cape/lirripipe type thing I am wanting :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
John I have the patterns if you want them.
It was probably me discussing them earlier too. Himself wears a non liripipe one tucked into his jacket for warmth and showerproofedness.
There's one sitting not quite finished, intended for a reenactor but not needed now. Send me an address and I'll put it into the post for you.

cheers,
M

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Since my first enquiry this afternoon I have dragged the scematic off the web, made a pattern and made a prototype!

The first result is excellent - a light blue grey woolen liripipe that fits well enough for Larping type activities or the stage - but it needs tweeking for everyday wear...the facehole is a bit big! I like the way the 'pipe can be worn as a scarf or extra layer over the ears - they olden folk were not so daft realy :)

Thanks for the offer Toddy ...but I am not now needing one, just some realy good fabric!
I will be keeping my eyes open for some Ventile off-cuts and some fine cashmere or Merino :)

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Hello John, any chance of some pictures of the end product when you are done ? I'm interested in seeing one of them.Cheers.
Darren

Last edited:

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
This interests me too, am very intrested in the results. Mean to make a cloak like one Toddy posted earlier, the Birrus style one for myself and a more trad one for the missus. The seperate hood thing is a great idea, so need that...

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Yup - the hood was part of my "Gimpli Son of Groin" outfit at the Moot ...but I have no photos of it myself!
I think that Cap'n Badger took a couple though..
A day to day version still has to be made though ... still waiting for the right fabric to come to me.....

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Yup - the hood was part of my "Gimpli Son of Groin" outfit at the Moot ...but I have no photos of it myself!
I think that Cap'n Badger took a couple though...

He did indeed take some :lmao:

DSC01005.jpg

DSC01006.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Very dramatic John :D

The real ones cover the shoulders and shed the rain, keep the neck and head warm and fit loose but closely enough that they don't blow down in the wind, but can be pushed back easily to cool down.

I'll get photos in the morning.

M

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
:) It does actually come closer to covering my soulders than it appears in the photos :)
It is covered on one side by my fur cape thing and is rucked on the other by my pouch strap - I will agree that the face opening is a bit on the big side though ...alterations have been done to the pattern and I am waiting to find the ideal fabric (I wish I had some more of the Merino I made my shirt and jerkin from!)...

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I made a cloak once and sampled the hood to chest level to get the pattern right- but its much more 'festival' than practical'!
20473_1326240470529_1066438695_987109_7460533_n.jpg

Thats a brilliant tute on proper ones, Baaf, thanks for sharing... might use the bottom of an outgrown waxed jkt for a trangia/ cook bag and have a recycle of the top shaped area/ hood for a woodland version :) Inspiring thread, thx!

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hoods :D

Only one was made this week, the other two are away with their new owner.
The others here are the ones I have in the house and the (too large) toile pattern for Nonsuch's.
These ones are all hand sewn, usually for basic hoods I machine sew and hand finish.

HWMBLT's
PB222550.JPG

Mine
<
PB222553.JPG

Nonsuch's
PB222556.JPG

Nonsuch's again
PB222559.JPG

All together
PB222564.JPG

Nonsuch's finished hood and it's toile
PB222561.JPG

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE