Danish Oil On Dry Scales

The Warrior

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2012
Illinois, USA
I got these Condors in a few weeks ago, and noticed that the scales were a little on the dry side. I finished applying Watco Danish Oil on them, and here are the results. I used the "natural" oil, which is just clear, no stain. Just a light sanding, and a few coats of oil.

Before. This is the day they came in. You can see how dry they were:

011.png

After:

006.png

Again, before:

004.png

And after:

007.png

Random shot:

008.png

I later got the Bushcrafter in, and did it too:

Before:

016.png

After:

001-5.png

Before:

014.png

After:

002-5.png

Really satisfied with the way it turned out. Has a slight satiny finish, which is what I wanted.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Danish oil is great stuff. Whether it is wood, antler or stabilised giraffe bone. I like to soak any new knife I get in Danish oil for a good 48 hours plus. It makes a world of difference, even to stabilised materials.

It certainly brought out the best in those Condors of yours.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I must admit , although I regularly oil all my woodwork and treen I rarely bother to use anything special.

Most often I just use olive oil because it's what I have handy and as most of my wood stuff comes in contact with food from time to time it means I don't have to worry about it.

Some people reckon it can go rancid but I've never noticed it, even on my leatherwork which also gets oiled the same way.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Danish oil is great stuff but the metal containers its supplied in are a bit crap. You get one use out of them then the lid gets stuck on and twisting the lid just spins the plastic neck round and round.

When (not if) that happens I fire the contents into a jam jar, yeah every once in a while the lid sticks on that as well but I'm not short of jam jars and a screwdriver poked through the metal lid gets it out and into another jar when needed.

I never get the stain stuff cos I generally think if I need stain I should have picked a nicer wood in the first place.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE