Daniel Boone challenge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have been thinking about this chalenge and was wondering about footwear, where can I get a decent pair of leather soled hob nailed boots?

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
044_zpsf6a5fa7f.jpg

So first off a couple of changes to my kit-list; swapped the rucksack to my Forces 44 as the LK35 seemed to pull my shoulders in such a way that I couldn't breath, not ideal when hiking! After seeing the weather forecast I also added a poncho.

Set of after work on Friday, parked up and walked a couple of miles up into the forest. Couldn't ask for more from the weather, sunny with a light breeze. Nice views from the forest edge...

3b721224-5296-476b-8f85-9dae39f36734_zps5c8356c3.jpg

Looked like the Chaffinches were having a good time too.

005_zps4def4333.jpg

Had a wander around, collected some birch bark and tried to scout out a camp site. Found my spot for the night, a nice grove of Ash (?) tucked in among the plantation pine.

017_zps13d7ad93.jpg

First up my tarp, just went for a lean-to set up with a little cover from a huge pine.

019_zpscdc649dc.jpg

Given that the Czech army bed roll is just a blanket bag really thought I'd better get some extra insulation under me. Used my poncho to collect some nice springy browse.

022_zpsc22d5e13.jpg

My bed for the night, it struck me how much time saving modern kit allows. A modern sleeping pad is so quick to set-up you don't even consider it but it took me 40 mins (admittedly I was only taking a little from each tree) to gather just enough for a mild spring night.

027_zpsd462c240.jpg

Next up to set up my pot hanger and gather wood, the poncho proves its worth again.

028_zps83d9a368.jpg

030_zpsdf3a01ec.jpg

As the sun started to set thoughts turned to food and fire.

032_zps81d0237f.jpg

Prepped my stew before getting the fire lit as I like to just sit and relax once the its going. Beef stew was on the menu :)

034_zps8fb0c4fd.jpg

No ale to go in it sadly, but water and a stock cube should do the trick.

035_zpsbaa2f5cb.jpg

Time for this flint and steel malarky. My tinder pouch came from John Fenna and the striker from Whitler Kev (gotta love the barter system on BcUK :D). I'd had a practise in the garden and had success with prepared tinder. I'd brought with me some charcloth and a few cramp balls and found some bark on a fallen birch on my way into camp.

033_zps82adeca2.jpg

036_zps7c406daf.jpg

037_zps85397b01.jpg

Now I'd love to say I had success but after several attempts I just couldn't get my coal to ignite my birch bark, maybe it was a little damp but I had a pocket full I hoped would be dry by morning.
Poor tinder prep on my part, lesson learned.
So with dark looming and my belly rumbling I reached for the lighter in my FAK :(.

Still even a failure is a success if you learn something right? So on with the fire and dinner on the Waigan stick.

041_zps486a546e.jpg

046_zps48ed182d.jpg

My candle lantern, a friend in the forest.

045_zpsd5daab60.jpg

Tried my best to get a decent shot of my dinner but it was nearly 10.30 before it was ready and dark. Suffice to say it was delicious :D.
Turned in around 11.30 and slept like a log. I was really pleased with the bed roll, really warm in combination with the browse bed, and I was happy to just kick off my boots and climb in without worrying about damaging it. If your in two minds about getting one, I can guarantee is £10 well spent!

I woke around 5.30 to a beautiful morning with the birds singing.

065_zpsb9f16751.jpg

So on with breakfast and another crack at the flint and steel. The birch bark had dried nicely in my pocket over night and a feathered a few sticks for good measure. And Im pleased to report, success :D!

Bacon, bannock and coffee. A proper bushy breakfast. The lid of a Tatonka 1.6l makes a perfect portion of bannock for one.

064_zps4fe96918.jpg

Had my breakfast then sat around reading for an hour while the embers cooled and enjoed the morning.

066_zps28dc3bf9.jpg

Had a tidy up and got ready to set off for a few miles walk around the forest. My first objective was to head down to the southern edge where some streams were marked on my map.

070_zpsb5c1c8a8.jpg

Most of this place is old plantation but with some deciduous on the fringes.

072_zps4a20a556.jpg

Sorrel in bloom

074_zps135edf8f.jpg

Some things make me mad :banghead:, did my best to clear it up.

076_zps8d9a5ca8.jpg

077_zps96f62522.jpg

Lots of walking along old fire breaks and overgrown forest roads.

078_zps2cfe5d88.jpg

Reached my goal of a water course, but it was dry. So I admit I walked back to my car and re-filled my bottles rather than dig a gypsy well.

It had been raining since mid morning, so when the sun poked out I stopped for some lunch.

098_zps98db9e25.jpg

Headed back north through the forest, on the search for a camping spot. After much bushwacking and working my way through the undergrowth I spotted some broad leaf tree's up in the canopy. Pushed my through the pines to find... My previous nights campsite! Shows how easy it is to get turned around in the woods even with a compass. Still the afternoon was drawing on and I thought it a good spot for another night.
I'd slept in the piney side of the clearing last night so thought it good to set-up among the Ash tree's for my last night. I guess with the trip down to the car I covered about 6 miles.

First thing first though, I needed a brew so got the honey out (the only time I used it). I'd got the hang of the flint and steel so I was enjoying a brew in short order.

110_zps1a98dcd0.jpg

On with the shelter, set-up to give good coverage if it started raining again.

116_zps80810e9c.jpg

Weather had cheered up no end by late afternoon.

125_zpsb3c9677d.jpg

Dinner tonight would be a bit of chorizo and spoczek gumbo.

136_zpsf7e19c89.jpg

140_zps30b087c1.jpg

On with the fire and dinner...

142_zps207dcf1e.jpg

155_zps01848b24.jpg

156_zpsf817a333.jpg

Early to bed, woke up around 2 with the rain pounding on my tarp. Staggered around in the dark to drop my tarp down, definitely missed my head torch in that moment. Not as comfy a nights sleep without a browse bed but I wasn't particularly cold more just a bit hard on the back.

Woke to a wet morning, grabbed a quick coffee and bite of bread then headed back to the car.

159_zpsdc472f9e.jpg

Well I hope you enjoyed my ramblings, not sure if blow by blow accounts are boring but well I wrote at as it happened.
I really enjoyed using a simple kit list and its certainly rewarding having to work a bit harder for your comforts. Not quite Daniel Boone perhaps, but I did it with what kit I already owned and although I did cheat (as detailed) on a couple of things I think I stuck to the spirit of it.

Iv only just read this thread and im excited already!!! Iv just been looking at some dates i can do it myself!!! :)

Great Write up too Copper head!! Some lovely photos there mate!! Im desperate to get my hand on the oil/candle lamp you use!! I cant find them for the life of me anywhere! :(

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Iv only just read this thread and im excited already!!! Iv just been looking at some dates i can do it myself!!! :)

Great Write up too Copper head!! Some lovely photos there mate!! Im desperate to get my hand on the oil/candle lamp you use!! I cant find them for the life of me anywhere! :(

Cheers cowboy, after some research i discovered its called an eltrex firefly 2 in 1. I still cant find one for sale but it might give you something to go on...

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Woo Hoo!
I am getting out this weekend and decided to ALMOST follow this challenge ....
Your inspiring agents are D Boone and co ... mine are prehistoric and Dark Ages folk, SOoooo - I am creating a fusion for my weekend :) plus using as much "self made" gear as I can while remaining in the "Luxury Hunting Camp" mode....
All my clothing except my grundies will be self made - inc shoes -my sleeping bag will be my blanket bag plus a blanket, sleeping mat some skins. No hammock but my self made stretcher bed (I have to pamper a bad back) and even my tarp is one I designed and later altered, the main work being done by Kathmandu many years ago.
Plate, mugs, spoon etc - all self made, billies - self made (from coffee storage tins) though my girdle was an inherited item.
My sharps are all self made (one knife I forged the blade myself, the other I made by "stock removal" while the axe I found as a rusty lump of iron in the shed....)
As the site is close to home and due to a wrecked knee I will be driving to yards from the site I will be leaving waterproofs at home, relying on my woollen cloak, yet taking in all the water I will need....
Food will mainly be raw meat, dried veg and the makings of bannock and I plan to make a smoker while I am up in the woods to "cure" some of the beef I am taking (perhaps some bacon as well...) - the bannock mix will be based on Bere flour, one of the most ancient cultivated grains, as I picked some up in Orkney on my recent visit there.
As it is the longest day I am ignoring lighting as I plan to go to bed before it is fully dark and get up after dawn ... but the "emergency bag" will include a torch as well as a FAK.
The gear for the smoker will be a tripod tied with natural cordage but a PSK as I am short of leather for the covering.
I will be pitching a communal are tarp as per normal as I am having guests and cannot expect them to suffer my mad /primitive excesses if it tips it down as predicted!
I am hoping that this all proves fun and is not too wet!
Not quite the challenge you posted ... but still a bit of a challenge :)

woodsrunner

Forager
May 13, 2013
Montana USA
It's close John.
I'm having to include a foam mat in mine as me back is giving me a bit of gip at the mo.
And lady of tanith is using fleece blankets as she has an allergy to wool.

Its all about adapting it to suit your needs/limitations and more importantly getting out there and doing
thats funny...not only the foam mat, but...i did not see a woman on the list of things to bring along....hmmm...some challenge:rolleyes:...something is amiss i think:lmao:...woods

Hmmm let me see my other half is prepared to do the challenge as our anniversary celebration this yr. It'll also be a break where its just the two of us without the kids
She wants to avoid the wool due to allergies. I think thats a fair sacrifice to the rules. Especially as it means she will come and she will enjoy herself.and she enjoys herself I'll enjoy myself.
Oh and btw shes a lady.... :)
As for foam mat I'm debating it. But at least I've admitted it. I could of just as easily not mentioned it and made sure it wasn't in the photos.

Please feel free to participate in the challenge and show me how you feel it needs to be done

woodsrunner

Forager
May 13, 2013
Montana USA
LOL....please don't take it personal amigo....just joshin...its yer challenge afterall,
reckon i wouldn't mind throwin my hat in...heck i'll probably need a roll mat myself...i'll need a couple days to put something together ie getting someone to look after the animals while i'm gone.
i'll also need to take a piece as there are griz and lion about and i won't trust my life to a can of bear spray...
wev'e had a hiker missing over here in montana a week now and i fear he may have run afoul some critter in these mountains...every year in park county alone, we lose one or more folks to bears, several more to accidents and hypothermia.
my missus is visiting the grandkids out in washington state and ain't much into camping and such....just as well i reckon...have fun and be careful out there!:)...woods

edit....happy anniversary

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The “Daniel Boone”/home made/Iron Age/Dark Ages challenge.

I adapted MOTs Daniel Boone Challenge to suit my desires and went to spend the weekend in the woods with Roly joining me for Saturday and Mark joining me for Sat night.
I went up the woods on Friday and the only kit I took with me that was modern commercial kit was
FAK + medi kit
Hygiene kit
Emergency kit (torch + phone and watch) – this was only used to find meds in the dark!
One of my 2 tarps (the other I designed and had made up and later adapted with extra guy points)
My pack (but canvas and leather so “D Boone” compatible!)
Seal Skinz socks (not needed)
Bake stone (Dark ages compatible)
Grundies
Ground sheet (for smoker) replaced with a blanket in use when the heat started melting the groundsheet.

All my other kit was home made, heavily worked on (ie my axe was found as a lump of rust and I revived and hafted it and my blanket that I cleaned, repaired and dyed with natural dyes) or a hand made gift – my Monmouth cap (thanks Elen!)
My knives were forged or ground by myself, all my clothing from shoes to cloak were home made, as were my cups bowl, spoons etc and even my billies were made from storage cans

Friday evening I simply set up camp, improved the fire reflector, got firewood together and nature watched until – on the Longest Day – it got dark enough to warrant sleep!
Sat I was awake at 4.30 thanks to the Dawn Chorus and in particular one bird that sang right above my head!
I had breakfast of bacon, black pudding and Beremeal made with beer bannock and built a smoker to smoke some beef. I found I had to stay in camp to keep an eye on the smoker to prevent it becoming a bonfire so got little else done for the 7 hours I smoked the meat.
Roly joined me and later Mark rocked up and although Mark stayed overnight Roly had to leave in the late PM.
Dinner was smoked beef and bannock (rather disappointingly the beef had not taken much flavour from the oak and hickory) washed down with home made wine.
A late night was enjoyed as Mark and I caught up with things.
Sunday I was up at six and had breakfast (same as Sat), packed most of my kit and did a bit of wildlife observation before Mark got out of his hammock at 9.30!
The weather had been kind and I got my tarps down almost dry but the weather was quite windy, threatened rain and as Mark had to go to a do in the PM we quit camp by 11.30.
A great experiment in using home grown/historic kit.
038.jpg039.jpg041.jpg005.jpg003.jpg all home made except the beer (for the bannock) and the bake stone - even the musket is home made!
014 (2).jpg015.jpg016.jpg
Home made bed and bedding (and cloak) - natural skins for insulation. Very warm and cozy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE