Daniel Boone challenge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Having deferred success on a previous weekend, I managed to squeeze a sneaky one-nighter in at short notice :D . So, one night instead of two ... :eek: .

The original intent was to travel in in a mix of shank's pony and public transport. An eleventh hour offer changed all that and I was dropped off on the door step. So, no real journeying ... :eek: .

Because I had the offer of a lift, I opted to indulge my sins by adding 'improved brew facilities' :p ...

The challenge mentioned in post #01 also had a bit of a tweak ~ I was going to be working with cubs and scouts on the Saturday and that's challenge enough :rofl: .

The combination of old bones, a sleep condition and the weather forecast lead to me opting to go with a modified sleeping arrangement to the one outlined in post #01.

Having been 'mercilessly badgered' into popping into RTI Military Surplus (well worth a trip btw :eek: :D ) by TwoDogs and TurboGirl I had a couple of newly acquired bits to give a whirl ~ namely some Dutch Rations and a new vintage canvas pack :eek: :D .

Because I had no actual need to make a camp gadget, I didn't :eek: .

Okay ... so nowhere near the actual challenge as laid out, more a Challenge Lite ~ but all plans need to have some levels of fluidity ;) .

Anyway, the kit as packed ...

Canvas bag holds the kit, leather snap sack has the food related stuff, bed roll, swanni and a water bottle on a belt ~ the lift allowed me to sin and take the kettle and irons :p :D .

Isn't it nice when items work together ...

No idea as to country of origin :dunno: ; but it and the Polish Shelter Half could have been made for each other :rofl: .
There's a second set of lift-the-dot fastened straps on the base straps which should be good for an axe (a take-down tomahawk haft would be a better choice if you were travelling through a public area ;) ). The leather straps need work :rolleyes: .

EDIT: I found one single, solitary, word which wasn't faded into history. But a google search on it lead to an ID. The pack is Yugoslavian, is roughly 20L, and is intended to be carried in any of two ways ~ over / across the shoulders as a satchel, using the strap in the pics or on your back as a rucksack using two (missing from mine) pack straps.

Contents of the canvas and leather bags ...

Closer pic of kit on the IPK ...

From within and under the canvas bag:

Book (still in bag, planned on having a read ~ failed to excel!),
Hygiene and first aid (still in bag),
Rectangle of an old IPK sheet that I use to sit / kneel / store things on (not on original list),
Fire iron cooking rods and pouch (not on original list),
Pegs (way too many :eek: ),
Opinel saw and pouch,
Sheath knife,
Short blow poker with 3x short skewers,
Millbank bag (safe water was available so the plan was to do a show and tell, other things cropped up),
Brew kit in leather pouch (pretty much unused due to the eleventh hour inclusion of the drinks in the Dutch rat pack),
Tinder box with pouch (above it in the pic),
Adirondack sheath (I'd lobbed it in so's to not forget my spork ... and then I promptly then forgot to take the spork out and leave the rest behind ;) ),
Tinder and kindling pouch,
UCO Micro candle lantern in protective case on thermawrap UCO down-lighter pouch),
Polish Shelter Half with Poles.

From within the leather knapsack:

Tatonka pans (camp set large iirc ~ I'd originally intended to use the set's billy as the sole pot, but the late inclusion of the kettle left it unused as anything other than for storage for the items as seen in the above pic),
Dee handled pan (taken for no other reason than the Tatonka set sits in it quite nicely I was too lazy to leave it behind ~ it's a generic, no name, job available from various sources for a couple of pounds),
Small square of nice heat resisting kevlar,
Sauce, mustard, oil, washing liquid, scourer and scraper (in Tatonka set's billy),
Food ~ wraps, Dutch ration pack, sausages, beans (Dutch rat pack caused these to go unopened)

Lots of last minute changes ...

No lift would have seen me leave the kettle and their irons behind ...
It would have been no hassle to leave the bulk of the Tatonka set behind ...
New purchases ~ I was in a rush and made inclusion errors in the switch over :eek: ...
I should I'd not have the time and should have left the book behind ...

Home for the night.

Full on widdling was forecast for overnight ~ so bivvy bag was taken. Came down quite well for a couple of hours, so a good choice.

A bit of bush tv of an evening ...

Multi purposing of items ~ the pouch for my UCO down-lighter thing is made from thremawrap and gets used as an insulating coaster / place mat :D . Again, the item's not really in keeping with the challenge but the multiplicity is :p

The drink's one of the chocolate sachets from the rat pack ~ liked it :approve: .

Breakfast on the go ...

Neither the pan set nor the fire irons are on the list, but they're quite 'minimal', allow expediency, and are very useful :D .

Alterations to the bedding ... even at the best of times I sleep really badly, so I purposely opted to change them to suit. Uncomfortable and poor sleep can activate a level of 'grump' few folks will ever wish to see a second time :eek: . With that in mind I made use of a thermarest, my trust old cascade designs pillow, a not even 1 season sleeping bag and a poncho liner type thing. The liner was folded down along the left side of the bivvy bag, ready to pull over me if it went nippy in the night ~ which it did when it started raining at about 02:30)

Dutch Ration Pack:

Contents List ... Contents ... Directions List ...

And Saturday's challenge? Spending time with cubs and scouts can be fun and, eventually, successful :rofl:

So ... not got exactly the right kit? It doesn't matter, try to keep to the spirit of it and tailor it to your own needs, abilities and the kit you already have! ;) :D .

Thanks for taking the time to look and / or read through.

Last edited:

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Two great Boone challenges there!

@JohnFenna: The A frame bed looks really comfy John, is the base of it an army basha? Looks like a great weekend and your home-made gear is superb!

@Decorum: Nice write up :D. I have one of those Yugo packs too (I use it as a shoulder bag), kudos for getting everything in there they're tiny little packs really. How did you find the Lavvu half as a shelter? Just ordered one myself.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Two great Boone challenges there!

@JohnFenna: The A frame bed looks really comfy John, is the base of it an army basha? Looks like a great weekend and your home-made gear is superb!

@Decorum: Nice write up :D. I have one of those Yugo packs too (I use it as a shoulder bag), kudos for getting everything in there they're tiny little packs really. How did you find the Lavvu half as a shelter? Just ordered one myself.
Nope - although one of my beds (it lives at my "Basecamp")is made from a basha, this one is made from MOD poly cotton with civvi webbing reinforcement at the hems and seams. - the fabric was a gift from Eric M of this parish and much appreciated! :)

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
The A frame bed looks really comfy John, is the base of it an army basha? Looks like a great weekend and your home-made gear is superb!

I looked at the pics and mentally drooled at the set-up and kit too ~ much coolness in that tit-fer too :approve:

I have one of those Yugo packs too (I use it as a shoulder bag), kudos for getting everything in there they're tiny little packs really. How did you find the Lavvu half as a shelter? Just ordered one myself.

It was a definite 'avin that!' moment :rofl: . TBH, much of it wasn't used :eek: ~ had I had more time and had I had to make the journey under my own steam the pack-out would have been whittled down much more :D .

I'd purposely gone for the head and kit under shelter and it worked nicely ~ roughly the same principle for all tarping :D . I'm no small job, I just about fit across a combined pair of shelter halves ~ I don't think I'd have enjoyed the night had I not had the bivvy bag ;) :eek: . Having the shelter half did, however, mean no need to lug a waterproof as (and this is just my opinion) if you take the time to work out how much you need to tie the neck shoulder off they make a decent and rugged poncho :approve:

woodsrunner

Forager
May 13, 2013
Montana USA
sort of a Boone challenge...i guess:confused:
i recently went out minimalist...but also to test a new Bucksaw and a large knife for a friend

here are a few pics...i also took no matches, lighter or other device for fire...instead i relied solely on a handdrill fire using locally found materials
i did bring food and extra water for my dog...and a rifle...of course:)...woods

thanks fer lookin

woodsrunner

Forager
May 13, 2013
Montana USA
yup filson it is...one of three that i own and have near worn out...lol

roycroft, yup or rather korean style frame used for hundreds of years before mr Roycroft came upon the scene

i only packed it eight miles so it weren't to awful bad....needs wide flat straps to make it more comfy....

thanks Albus....thats Zipper and yup he carrys his own gear, his pack is actually some old saddle horn bags that i converted for him...woods

Last edited:

woodsrunner

Forager
May 13, 2013
Montana USA
thanks copper head
can't get much simpler than the roycroft...its good practice to use a combination of primitive and traditional gear.
its not only good practice, but loads of fun as well...thanks for being the first to kick off this challeng...well done!!!...woods

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Some very nice reports, thanks for sharing! The 'Roycroft' pack, as woodsrunner has displayed, would have been known and referred to as a budget, in Boone's day. Ted Franklin Belue describes budgets and provides a picture of a willow pack frame in his books The Long Hunt and The Hunters of Kentucky .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE