Daniel Boone challenge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TaTanka

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 28, 2010
Texas
Maybe the Randolph B. Marcy challenge? Crockett in all truth didn't do much more than get killed when he got down here, sounds horrible I know and I love Crockett from a historical perspective. Marcy trekked the area through the panhandle and the rest of the plains states. He even wrote a book called the Prairie Travel -- a book that saved hundred of lives. The part of Texas I am in is basically a desert, with a little more water. But, there is such a lack of water and vegetation that even the Native American's didn't live here, they just traveled through the area. We are talking Comanche, Apache, and Kiowa. These were some very tough people and they didn't stay any longer than they had to. The flora has changed, due to cattle drives and westward expansion, so there are a few more options than there were, but I'll make sure to get some pics for everyone to see this corner of our world.

Also, here is a link to the book I mentioned.
http://www.kancoll.org/books/marcy/

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Within the next week or so I will be Posting the 4 night Suffolk Bushcraft Boone Challenge 2014... Keep an Eye out for it :).. at this point it will just be a rough outline of the Challenge over four nights covering three different woodlands :)

Blood

Tenderfoot
Jan 15, 2014
Fflint
Wow what a thread. Finally finished reading and following links to links and kit to more links....

This is the genre of bushcraft I want to fully return and always do. I have found myself using the 'waiting til I can buy this or that' excuse for not getting out. Gonna grab what I can and get out for a night soon as I can. See how my basic of basic kit fairs and then I t's make n mend for the next, just how I imagine those men did. They would have learnt from every trip out. The minute they got got back from a tramp or at the end of a season, with fur swapped for cash, I can see them bouncing to the hardware or a trading post for some better canvas and linseed oil or tool and candles... I do day dream a lot lol.

Just got the pass from the missus to endulge so I think it's time to dust that gear off and take in the scent of storage, mmmmm mustiness!

Anyone in the north Wales area want to join me?

Last edited:

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
started reading this and somehow managed to convince myself to have a bash at making a canvas tarp, definitely going to give this a go this year

davidpingu

Forager
Nov 3, 2012
Cwmbran
I'm planning on giving this a go mid August and was thinking of buying the book about Daniel Boone to get a little more knowledge of the man. Would be interested to hear your reviews of any books you've read about him? The one I have my eye on is the Thwaites edition on Amazon but I can find very few reviews and no general overview about the book.

Dave

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
YOu got to give it a go... :)

I will be running a Boonie weekend in Suffolk on the 12th/13/14 Sept :) if anyones interested.. JUst got to confrim the dates.. it will be a BOONIE base camp one this time

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
2 Night Boone Challenge being the 12th 13th 14th Sept, just a static Base camp one,

Stansfield, Nr Bury st Edmunds, Suffolk

Normal Cost £15

reminder of kit list

Kit List

Keep as close to the list as possible, as the idea is to experience the camping methods, not just to use modern equipment......that we are comfortable with

• Waterproof Tarp.
  • 2 Wool Blankets and canvas type swag or Bedroll – ie Czech or Similar. - No Roll Mat
  • Two Knives - Changed as I have found that a smaller knife was sometimes carried for general use in the Possibilty Bag
  • Axe or Saw, a choice of one - As a matter of interest I cannot find any reference to Saws being carried....
  • Flint and Steel – Not Ferro Rod, I have found some references to Lucifer’s... these were the sulphur matches of the day, not common at all, but may be used. No modern day matches
  • Tinder box/Pouch with tinder types from the period, no modern materials i.e. NO Cotton Wool and Vaseline.
  • Water Bottle
  • Billy Can and Lid.
  • Cup.
  • Spoon Only
  • Food - Keep to foods of the time, No Boil in the bag or modern dehydrated meals, or tins.
  • Candle/Lantern for lighting.
  • Rucksack/Bag to carry items in- OLD School type.....

Safety Items
  • Small Torch for EMERGENCY use only...
  • Phone – this only to be used to keep the other half happy, and let them know you are safe, or in an Emergency. To be Turned OFF any other time.
  • First aid kit
  • Medication – Tablets (and I don’t mean ones for the internet)

Crossland Kelly Has offered to do a group meal for one of the evening, he is thinking something like a Roast Chicken, Corn on the Cob and Potatoes, cost to be split by those that take part, please let him Know if you are wanting it.

PM me for more details and add your name to the list

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
1 Colin......Meal will be spit roast chicken with simple veg, taters, corn, carrots etc. Please add meal by your name, if you want to join the group meal.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
1 Colin......Meal will be spit roast chicken with simple veg, taters, corn, carrots etc. Please add meal by your name, if you want to join the group meal.
2 Big Stu

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Old school enough Stu? :) I took the frame from ny Norwegian pack, and sewed a small Hessian sack to the frame. If I'd have had a piece of Hazel I would have made a Roycroft frame, still the principle is the same.

Old school backpack 001.jpg Old school backpack 002.jpg Old school backpack 006.jpg Old school backpack 007.jpg
And with Market bag.
Old school backpack 008.jpg Old school backpack 012.jpg Old school backpack 009.jpg Old school backpack 010.jpg

If any of the group want to do something similar, I have three more sacks they can have, just let me know.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE