Damson tree

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

anshutz1

Jun 20, 2011
herefordshire
Hi Folks, been given big Damson Tree for fire wood, question is when to cut it down? Should I wait for it to fruit first? Thanks in advance for any advice.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
if it is still living and there is no rush to clear it why would you possibly want to cut it down before you have harvested all that lovely fruit!?:dunno:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Hell, don't chop it down at all... leave it growing so you can go back and pick damsons for years to come.

But if it absolutely has to come down then wait till it's cropped in the autumn so you can make loads of damson jam :)

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Yes, wait for the fruit to be ripe (to eat, make jam, chutneys, wine, damson vodka etc). If you have to cut it down wait until winter when the sap is low and the wood will season quicker. If it's a decent tree the wood could be useful for carving or making other things with as it's quite hard and nicely coloured and can even have a reddish purple tinge in the middle.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Keep it for the fruit. Damsons are gorgeous.

The wood is very very good for carving and so forth. Fruit woods are dense and close-grained, and often very attractive. You might get a few offers for trades.

I wouldn't cut down a living tree unless I really had to, especially a mature fruit tree.

anshutz1

Jun 20, 2011
herefordshire
I get what you all say, but the owner wants it gone, whether I have it or not. I will wait till after fruit though. Thanks for all help, as always.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
well as it must go try and wait untill winter, the sap will all be in the roots which means the wood will season a little quicker, split and stack off the ground with a cover over the top, leave the sides open though so the wind can get into the centre and dry it all out....

hope this helps....

chris.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Leave till late autumn or winter and the sap is low, and don't use for firewood, much too good ! Good for carving, knife handles, turning etc, not firewood !!!

Cheers, Paul

Cpt-Jack

Aug 1, 2011
Essex
We have tons of damson trees growing in our garden, they just grow wild. I dont want to cut any of them down though, far too tasty.

Does anyone know what greengage wood is like? I have an old greengage tree that fell over last year, its more or less dead now and in need of chopping up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE