Dampers or Twists

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Don't know if its been done before, but heres a recipie that I learnt when I was a boyscout many years ago,

Great for a supper time snack, or breakfast, or midday or.....

Cut a hazel stick about as thick as your thumb and about 3 feet long. Scrape the outer bark off for about 1 foot of the thick end and fashion into a rough point.

Make a very basic flour & water dough (you can add a bit of milk powder, salt, whatever if you wish). Roll it into a long sausage shape ( appologies to the veggies reading this ;) ).

Flour the peeled end of the stick and, starting at the point, wrap the dough around the stick so that the bit you are doing sticks to the coil already on the stick. (much easier to show than talk about) Stop when the "Twist" is about 6 to 9 inches long.

Cook over the embers of your fire until it starts to turn a good golden brown on the outside, turning it over in you fingers so it gets an even cook.

Now the cunning bit....

Hold the stick mid way and whack the end of the stick near the "Twist" with the spine of your knife - this will loosen the cooked twist so that you can pull it off the end of the stick - but be careful as they are a bit hot.

Then cram some butter down inside the funnel shape so that it melts all the way down, followed by a big dollop of your favourite jam.

The trick then is to eat the whole lot before the butter melts through the bottom end and leaks all over your trousers :p

Enjoy

Ogri the trog

PurpleHeath

Forager
Jan 5, 2005
West Sussex, England
in the woodcraft folk they are called dampers, i would explain why, but i can't remember. :eek: we made them in a simlar way but instead of taking them off the strick to eat you just the jam on top or whatever you want to eat it with and that stops it from dripping anywhere.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE