Damper Bread??

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
Hey all this is how i make my "damper bread"
:1244:
Line the mess tin with normal flour

mix normal flour with water and a bit of milk to make a "dough" in the oven it goes for an hour, in the end i have a hot lump of dough that doesnt resemble nor taste like bread so the dog has it :rolleyes:

What am i doing wrong? i fancy a bit of nice warm bread camping :D

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, you need some kind of raising agent. I believe "damper" was traditionally made with live beer, so you'd get some yeast from that. Won't work with pasteurised beer though... Either add a bit of bakers yeast, or go down the more "bannocky" route and use baking powder. I would recommend a pinch of salt and some oil too, ideally.

Come to think of it, I've never actually tried the live beer trick. And here's me sitting right next to a barrel... Time for some experimentation methinks!

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
a bit of nice warm bread camping :D

damper is just flour, salt, water, I guess it's ok to add fat/butter, change the water for milk, or beer, add bi-carb, whatever, but nothing is going to make it taste other than it is, flour and water=glue :(
and does not taste like bread, if you really fancy something tasty round the camp fire, you can in my opinion do no better than bannock I’ve made it three times, every time a great success. At the moot, it was all my little girl would eat for breakfast. I cooked mine in the same pan as I have cooked the bacon in, heaven pure heaven

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I think the best way in this stuff is to experiment. I have found a reasonable amount of success with two parts flour to one part of milk powder using my large spoon, chuck a half or so of a teaspoon of baking powder in and some sugar. It comes out quite sweet and so I need to bang in some dried fruit next time.

I can't be really sure what she (Betsy, an old Aboriginal woman) put in it, but the damper she made (in the hot ashes of the fire, no pots or pans!!) up in Arnhemland was absolutely heaven to eat..... to top it of with a bit of syrup..mmmmm

I never ever came close with dampers/johnny cakes or bannock... still trying though ;-)

Just brought back memories...

And some more new ideas for experimenting with a new cooking setup...thanks for the inspiration you all!

Grtz Johan

BOD

I can't be really sure what she (Betsy, an old Aboriginal woman) put in it, but the damper she made (in the hot ashes of the fire, no pots or pans!!) up in Arnhemland was absolutely heaven to eat..... to top it of with a bit of syrup..mmmmm

Grtz Johan

Yup. After a longs day's walk with a cool desert night coming on it will taste divine especially if there is golden syrup (it was goldenssyrup wasn't it?)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
CC,
You've got a similar mix to a "stick-bread" that I sometimed cook over a fire wrapped on the end of a stick! I think your problem is in trying to cook it in a domestic oven - you might try it on the hob but its going to burn, no matter how careful you think you're being. I'd also reccommend going for a bannock recipe and cook it over the embers of an open fire in a heavy cast iron pan - heavenly. To cook the same mix on a stick, cut some green hazel wands and strip the bark off one foot of the thumb thick end. Cut a crude point on it and cover in a layer of flour - then wrap the dough around it in a spiral until there are no gaps. Cook over the embers until its golden brown all over. Tap the stick to loosen the cone of bread which can be filled with butter and jam - messy but nice.

ATB

Ogri the trog

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Tried the beer approach last night - unsuccessfully. Could be that my beer is too clear and well-conditioned to contain any viable yeast... I've got a kinda beery sourdough starter on the go now, we'll see if anything happens.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I always make fire bread to the following recipe which has served me well over the years:

3 Cups Self-Raising Flour
1/2 cup milk powder
1tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
about 1 cup water or beer

Mix all the dry ingredients together at home before you leave - they'll keep indefinitely if dry. Just before you make your bread, add the water or beer and mix well, to a firm dough. Put in a covered tin thats got at least an inch gap around the ball, and 2 inches above, thats been floured or oiled in advance to stop the bread sticking. don't use too big a tin if you want more, since the hot fire will burn the outside and leave the centre raw - if you want more bread, make it in batches. The amount given above does 2 loaves.

When the fire has reduced to coals, put the tin on the coals and rake some more up the sides and over the top and wait. It'll take between 20 and 45 mins to cook - its fine to lift the lid off and check after the first 15 - better than ending up with burnt rock!

Delicious hot, especially with some syrup or honey on top! :D Or for more excitement, throw in some fruit and nuts, choc chips or cheese before baking to liven it up a bit!

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, I got a successful leavened bread off the beer starter - not quite as light and fluffy as when I use bread yeast, and it's got a slightly sourdough kinda vibe about it, but it's perfectly edible.

Seemed to take at least a couple of days for the yeast to get going in the starter though... Although I did forget it was there for a day or two. ;)

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Excuse? Who needs an excuse? ;)

Did you try with shop-bought beer? Pretty much all the beer you get in the shops is pasteurised, so it has no active yeast in it. Look for "bottle conditioned" beer, that might still be live. Me, I brew my own...

I think she called it a Scotsman's or Highland damper but can't be sure.

Funny, I first heard about it in Australia! It would figure though... The proper traditional Highland travelling fare was pinhead oatmeal mixed with cow's blood, so a damper would be a real luxury - but I'm pretty sure beer would have been a standard part of the ration. 40 miles a day, barefoot, across the moor, living on oatmeal, blood and a quart of porter a day - and people think the Scots have got a short life expectancy now! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE