Damn Dog ate my...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
As everyone that knows me realises I have a soft spot for hounds. A dog is your best friend for life.

However some days you could gladly throttle them.

Aspen my slightly manic Springerador has just chewed my FITBIT Charge 2 to pieces.

I’m left with a pile of dog slobbery broken electronic parts and a smashed screen. Fortunely now damage to the dog.

What’s the most unusual or expensive thing your dog has destroyed?

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
The apples still hanging on the trees were being eaten, we blamed the kids for biting them, but one day found the dog stretching up and nibbling the apples around the middle but being gentle enough to leave the half eaten fruit still hanging ! - I wouldn't have believed it unless I saw it.

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Being involved with dog rescues and our own mutts I've had quite a few dogs though the household over the last 30 years.

None of the Rottweilers have chewed anything they shouldn't have :) Collies, including our own, have had the odd nibble at table legs and mats. One dog we fostered chewed up a pair of Oakley's which I wasn't best pleased about, especially as I had specifically asked if he was a chewer or not, apparently he wasn't, they told me he was an angel! The rescue was really good and got me a replacement pair :)

My latest project, a very, very badly treated young lurcher has been the worst we've had. A lot of it has been at night so I couldn't catch him at it to redirect him. He's had SWMBO's glasses case, a telephone, a binoculars case, mats, ripped a bit of curtain, a couple of dog leads, a jacket, etc; He's definately been the biggest ever test of my patience. He is getting better, slowly :)

ferretracer

Nov 16, 2012
basingstoke
Not me but a mate of mine had one his ferreting collars, munched and destroyed by one of his german sherpards , dog was fine but collar dead (70-80 quid a pop)

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
My old spaniel had a habit of tantrum chewing if he was left on his own. He ate holes in some of my favourite clothes, chewed the cable off some moderately expensive headphones but worst of all he would chew the drivers side seat belts if I left him in the car. He could escape through the dog guard in the boot and chew through a seatbelt in a matter of minutes if the notion took him. Of course it made the car undriveable for days and sometimes meant sourcing new belts from scrapyards or private sellers on ebay. The worst time was when he ate the belt on my honda prelude and I couldn't find a replacement anywhere as it wasn't a common car and then he ate the very expensive safety harness from my track car as I was having to use that to get around. Here's a photo of the time he tried to escape from the boot via the ski hatch and got stuck :rolleyes:

DSC00459.jpg

Reactions: Broch and Wayne

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
Flash ate my Akubra hat. Luckily it was my old one, 20 years old and had just been replaced, my wife had had to get it sent from Australia.
I’m not sure how he got hold of it, but I wasn’t impressed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
My old dog has a thing for shoes, particularly wellies, a fairly recent thing and only when she gets really excited like when going outside or in the garden, she runs past and if she comes across a shoe or a welly [usually by the door] she'll grab it and take it out with her.

She's not chewed anything since a puppy and had a go at table and chair legs when teething. She's an Alsatian crossed with Collie and 14.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
By accident and as a puppy, our Lab got shut into the garage for a half hour and ate most of the clip-on accessories of the vacuum cleaner, which was dead easy for him, having already digested most of the kitchen floor covering.
Ceeg

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
When he was alive my chocolate lab managed to break into the shed, find and break into a child proof container and eat about a kilo of rat poison!
we found a very pleased looking dog next to the container looking like a chewed toffee!
He was less pleased when we took him to the vet to get treated. i wasn't impressed either!

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
When he was alive my chocolate lab managed to break into the shed, find and break into a child proof container and eat about a kilo of rat poison!
we found a very pleased looking dog next to the container looking like a chewed toffee!
He was less pleased when we took him to the vet to get treated. i wasn't impressed either!

I think chocolate labs will survive the nuclear holocaust along with the cockroaches. My wife's aunt had one that could and would eat anything. He must have had more lives than a cat to survive as long as he did.

srod

Forager
Feb 9, 2017
argyll
I had a sheep's skull, complete with fantastic curly horns that served as a garden ornament, I found in on the side of a mountain completely weathered and devoid of all edible flesh, just pure bony calcium. The dog lived alongside it in the garden for years and never showed any interest in it. Then one day for no apparent reason the dog decided to eat the whole thing. It certainly had a interesting time passing it...

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
12lb Turkey crown..on Christmas eve... Iphone 4s, The Kitchen wall and door, table legs.

Gawd i miss that dog still :(

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
240v hairdryer cable, poor thing would never get in that bed from that day on
My father in laws new hearing aids, over £2000
My car seat belts
My Leki trekking poles
My Felty trekking poles
Letters, usually leaving a fragment that reads "Payment due immed....." leaving us no idea who we need to pay
Lots of little nicks in boots etc, removal of thousands of sequins from a lovely scarf, tassels from cushions, the usual.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Not a dog, but feral cat got unknowingly shut in the garage for a day and night; it wasn't just contented with sleeping on my sports car seats but decided it would be comfier if it shredded them first! Two completely ruined seats that are going to cost me over £600 each to replace before I can use the car!!! :(

bearbait

Assorted dogs, all rescue dogs:
Car seat belts (expensive);
My hiking socks, amongst other items of attire;
Packs of butter, leaving the wrapping paper perfectly clean and unchewed;
A cake cooling on the work surface;
Dog leads (the collie could get through a dog lead in seconds);
Live electric cable to extension sockets (dog was OK);
My marmite sandwhich, which was in my hand en-route between sandwhich box and my mouth at the time (OK that was was a friend's dog when out on a picnic);
A trashed kitchen (my then partner wouldn't let me in the kitchen to see until she'd cleared up his "adventure"); a little bit of redecoration in order!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE