Damascus Pattern Steel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
I have a little damascus knife that I gave a good sharpen and clean up a couple of days ago.
This has resulted in the patternation dimming.
I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that if you give damascus steel a wipe with a special solution it brings back out the swirly patterns.
Is that so and, if it is, what do I need to wipe the steel with and where can I get it (a high street type shop would be great)?

Cheers for your advice.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
For a gentle etch, go for really strong instant coffee.

If you want a deeper etch then ferric chloride but you need to be careful not to get it on the scales, your hands, etc and neutralised after.

Coffee isn't so much of a worry.

Reactions: Wander

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Lovely - I'll give the instant coffee a go first.

Any advice on doing this? For example - how 'strong' is strong (i.e. how many teaspoons of coffee to ml of water)? I take it makes no difference whether it's hot or cold.
How long should I leave it on for?
Assume you're talking to someone who hasn't a clue (because I haven't).

If I'm not happy with that result then where do I get ferric chloride, and what's the process for using that?

Any help is gratefully appreciated.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I don't have a scientific answer on the coffee front. Hot will help but not essential. I would put 4 or 5 teaspoons worth in a cup. Leave it on as long as it takes. Different steels will take a different time. Just take it out for a look every now and then. A wipe down between dips won't hurt.

Reactions: Wander

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Funnily enough, I did both.
I've taped it up and then I poured in the coffee just so it covers the blade and stops at the bolster.
I'm going to give it 20 minutes and then have a look.

I've also read that you can use hot fizzy drinks.
So if the coffee doesn't give good enough results then, what with it being the Season of Coca Cola, that'll be next.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Well spin me round and call me Susan!
I was blind but now I can see.

I'll confess I was a little dubious about the coffee method.
But shame on me, because it worked marvellously!
In fact, I think it's brought out the damascus pattern than it was to start with.
Here's a picture of the results:

39370152851_7c322f21c2_z.jpg

Stew - much appreciated. Your advice was spot on!

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I'm intrigued by the coffee process; is this staining the layers differently or is there a chemical process going on?

This from the supplier where I get my Damascus Steel stock:

<
You can etch our steel with various acids. In order to achieve a good result, the
acid should be heated in a water bath to 50°C. We recommend a deep etching
until the change in layers is quite noticeable.

acid chemical name
1 Sulfuric acid (15-30%) H2SO4
3 Iridium(III) chloride (10-35%) Fe3Cl
>

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
The instant coffee is acid as well, just milder. It's doing the same thing as others will do, just slower. It is eating away the steel with the lower manganese content at a faster rate than the higher manganese steel. (I think that's the right way round)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE