Damascus making with Owen Bush (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sparkplug

Forager
Jan 24, 2008
East Anglia
A couple of weeks back I was booked in to a damascus class with Owen Bush.

I had already done his bladesmithing course and had found it inspirational.

The course was fully booked (as was the bladesmithing course I'd been on).

Well how lucky can you get? For various reasons the other 5 people had to pull out. This left me with one to one tuition :)

This meant that we managed to get a lot more done than would normally come out of a Damascus course and it also meant that Owen took the opportunity to test out some new techniques of his own with stunning results.

I managed to get three pieces done. The first was all by hand and it gave me a new perspective and appreciation of how much effort would have gone into the original damascus makers pre the power hammer era..

IMG_3683.jpg

A simple twist and not a huge amount of layers (forgot to count them!)

It etched up nicely

IMG_0823.jpg

and then I destroyed the tang on the power hammer! Having cut off the mangled end and gone back to the hammer and anvil I managed to make a nice little user blank (thanks Owen from talking me out of that horrible seax idea)

IMG_3684.jpg

After the first lesson we started using the power hammers and the layers built up quite a bit faster than the hand method. We also finally found the chalk :D and started counting the layers.

IMG_0821.jpg

The next billet was made to 342 layers and half of it was angle ground into the surface to produce the laddering - lightly etched and ready for my own forge next year...

IMG_3685.jpg

The other half was further folded to 1368 layers and we worked on this to make a "kebab knife" as Owen cheekily referred to it :D It means a whole lot more to me as it's an homage to the knife that made me want to have a go at making a blade myself.

IMG_3686.jpg

some close ups of the random pattern. No surface manipulation was used to produce this and I absolutely love it...

IMG_3687.jpg

IMG_3688.jpg

Owen really got on board with the idea and had a big input into making this blade as good as it is...

IMG_0813.jpg

I went into the course hoping to learn a technique, fully accepting that it's far from guaranteed that you will produce anything useable. I came away with two good billets and two part finished blades - far more than I could have hoped for.

A huge thanks to Owen for his good nature, patience and discrete criticism.

Can't wait until next year when I can start to take this knifemaking lark a bit more seriously....

IMG_3689.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thanks for posting this sparkplug, I'd love to give it a go one day.

Good luck with the forge, look forward to seeing some of your work eventually.

Put me down for a full tang dammy please :)

sparkplug

Forager
Jan 24, 2008
East Anglia
Put me down for a full tang dammy please :)

WOW! Praise indeed :)

You'll have to wait a very long time for that one though!

I'm not going to be able to sort out and set up a forge until the middle of next year at the earliest and then I'm going to have to learn how to do it all on my own without expert guidance. It'll be quite a while before I've got anything worth selling...

I've also never made a full tang before - I'll need a belt sander and quite a bit of practice :D

Oh - and there's no way I'm making my own mascus until I'm happy with my bladesmithing. There's just too much work goes into it to make a silly mistake on a grinder and ruin it! Especially without a powerhammer which I'll never afford. I'll be happy to find a good flypress.

First though I need an anvil, some hammers, some tongs - oh yes and a forge!

Glad you liked it though - I had a lot of fun making it and learned enough to feel happy giving it a go on my own.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE