Daft Duck Question

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
I was looking at some Mallard drakes on a local pond today, and I saw some strange behaviour. One of them was diving (that is to say complete submersion for a second or two and popping up several feet away). I know there are diving ducks, but I wouldn't associate this with Mallards, which normally up-end, with their bottoms sticking up in the air. Has anyone else seen this before, and is it common behaviour that I have just not been observant enough to notice before?

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Thanks guys, I guess I'm just not very observant. Actually these ducks were on a deeper pond than where I usually watch ducks, so perhaps the ones I usually see haven't got the room to do these diving feats.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Actually these ducks were on a deeper pond than where I usually watch ducks, so perhaps the ones I usually see haven't got the room to do these diving feats.

That's it, you pretty much summed it up. It's amazing to watch them swim underwater for great distances. They are really agile and can get up to some impressive speeds with sharp turns.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE