Daffodil dye

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
As its getting to that time of year.

You can use daffodil flower heads (after they have died) as a very rich gold/yellow. I used alum as a mordant to set the dye. More heads you have the richer the colour, great thing is people dont mind you dead heading there daffodils.:)

Sandsnakes

Mar 24, 2009
ireland
As its getting to that time of year.

You can use daffodil flower heads (after they have died) as a very rich gold/yellow. I used alum as a mordant to set the dye. More heads you have the richer the colour, great thing is people dont mind you dead heading there daffodils.:)

Sandsnakes

hi sandsnake, please tell me how to go about this, eg. how much alum do you use and how long to soak for. thanks.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
I have only played with this, there lots of ‘hard core dyers’ on BCUK.

Basic rules for mordant.

If dyeing skeins of yarn, make sure that the skeins are tied securely, but loosely in at least 3 places, to avoid tangling. If you tie them tightly or use rubber bands you tend to get a ‘tie-dye’ effect. The mordanted yarns can be dyed immediately, or dried and stored for later natural dyeing. The alum/tartaric acid mixture is suitable for wools, silks and other protein fibres.

1. Always use a clean fabric or yarn. If its new from a roll, wash it to remove any dressings. If doing skeins of wool, silk or yarn use clean scoured wool or yarn.
2. Fill a large pot with clean water and heat.
3. Weigh the material.
4. Using 10% Alum to weight of fibre, mix the Alum into the hot water.
5. If you are doing silk or wool add 5% Tartaric Acid to weight of fibre, add the Tartaric acid to the hot water mixture.
6. Rinse the material so that it is damp. Wring out, do not have it dripping wet.
7. Add the material into the hot Alum mixture.
8. Make sure that it is all covered by the Alum water, if not, add more water to the pot.
9. Simmer the mordant mixture for about an hour at 90 degrees Celsius. Do not boil.
10. Remove from the Alum mixture.
11. If you are dye quantities of material. The Alum mixture can be reused by adding 1/2 the amount of Alum and Tartaric Acid.

Basic rules for dye

Chop plant material into small pieces and place in a pot.
Double the amount of water to plant material.
Bring to a boil, then simmer for about an hour.
Strain for bits, separate plant material from dye.
Now add your fabric to be dyed.
Stir in fabric and keep it covered by solution.
For a strong shade, allow material to soak in the dye overnight.
Dry. When drying hang by one edge on a washing line, this will avoid drying marks.
Wash excess out.

Have fun… oh yes, invest in a pair of marigolds or the world will thing you smoke about 140 packs a day! :lmao:

Sandsnakes

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Not sure about that one, every plant will yield some form of dye, just got to have a lot of heads! Some are more colour permanent than others, so give it a bash and tell us what happens :)

Sandsnakes

rivermom

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2008
Sligo, Ireland
wow, thanks for this. I have a bumper display of Daffs this year. And I always feel so sad when they fade and die. But this year I will be able to capture some of the magic of spring.

And maybe this will give me the incentive to get back to spinning again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE