Dad has an Idea....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
He `does` intend camping with me again, but wants a bigger tent.

(He took a shine to my Eurohike Backpacker tent but dressing while horizontal is a bit tiresome at his age...or any age come to think of it.)

His cunning plan is to use his pop up gazebo and give it walls.

I have no idea if this will work or not; I would not try it if I suspected a high wind.

My suggestion was to use my big frame tent....However it is a pest to put up and I would be reluctant to use it for anything less than a week. (our trips will be a long weekend at most)

Hes in love with the uber big tents ever since his brother bought a canvas bungalow many years ago; I said that such items were dire to erect, and his brother had his family, plus the wifes sister and her family, and two dogs. Me and him hardly need that sort of encumberance.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Do you not think that the larger dome tents are no more difficult or time consuming to erect than their smaller brethren? I have a Coleman Hooligan 4 as a car camping/base camping tent and it is just as quick to erect as my one person REI Chrysalis. It had 5 ft of head room in the centre which is adequate for dressing, and one could even take a couple of folding chairs inside if you would be so decadent:) I'm sure Vango or some other UK distributor makes a dome of such a size and simplicity. Although I have no direct experience of them, tunnel tents look to be independent of size in terms of simplicity, and are usually better suited to UK conditions erecting outer first/all in one.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hey Tengu,

If he likes uber big tent, but will stand up to more than a normal bit of weather the Wild Country make some good ones. Not a fan of their Terra Nova mountain tents but their family ones are robust. Or you could really splash on a Tipi - though all one room!, or there's these folks Helsport, nice and solid. Though if you need bomb proof, and cash isn't a problem try Hilleberg.
Goatboy.

loosehead

Oct 7, 2011
skegness
just a thought - but you could do worse than a bell tent . plenty of room to stand up , dead easy to put up ( can do it alone in 15mins ) totally bombproof weather wise and you get all the benefits of sleeping under canvas - obviously the weight is an issue , and is only suited to car camping. got mine from canvas and cast , and couldn't recommend them highly enough

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE