Dachstien Guide Sweater...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
sweater looks great!!!!

I bought two classic Devold sweaters, much cheaper, but alo highly recommendable (Ray Mears wears/wore the Islender sweater alot in the Artic)

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Thank you for the great comments. The weather does need to be cold to wear one, but they are pukka kit (I like the sound of the full zip version). When I got mine I was actually looking for a Norwegian army jumper (to replace one I lost in a divorce many years ago!), but I think this is actually better, even if it doesn't pack down to the same size.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Keep an eye out for the Austrian Army's wool trigger mitts and over mitts ;)

Happy to bung up a couple of pics if it doesn't derail the thread too much ...

(There's a wool mix and 100% version ~ helpfully they look the same :-o )

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I've been after one of these for quite a while, never lucky enough to find one in my size sadly. I'am a fair sized lump.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
They sound good....piccy's please

As with all Austrian Army kit you will find a label with the word HEERESEIGENTUM; basically 'Army Property'.

Austrian Army Trigger Mitts ~ the inners and outers. These mitts are generally available separately.

The 'outer mitt' is a wool fabric with a more wear resistant fabric facing on the palm. The label states 88% Schurwolle, 12% Polyamid.
Schurwolle translates as 'New', 'Virgin', and/or 'Pure' wool. Polyamid translates as polyamide ~ there are both
natural and synthetic polyamides, wool being one. Different materials may have been put into service and a catchall
name used :dunno: .

A size guide ...
And yes, the 'inner mitt' is a rather singular design which falls somewhere between a mitt and a glove ~ but it's hard to
pull a trigger wearing mitts ;) . The label on both outer mitts is marked with a 2 in a circle. Whether this makes them
a Size 2, I can't be sure. As you can see, the inner fits in the outer ;)

The palm opening is only on the right hand and the popper on the back is there to hold it in place and prevent it from
flapping around. Another reason why they're referred to as 'trigger mitts' ;)

The size of the inner's is marked by the white bands ~ I, II, III. The recommended 30 deg C wash didn't shrink mine.
The 'inner' mitt is, by design, ambidextrous.

The size II are marked as being made in 1984, the III's are marked 2005/06. The III's have been through a hot
wash (or have seen a hot iron) and are ... erm ... somewhat smaller than they should be :eek: (purposely bought
already shrunk for swmbo who has smaller hands). I'm a (glove) size 10 and find the II's are a good and comfortable
fit. As you may note, the older pair is 100% wool, the newer are a high wool mix. The newer pair also have
tighter washing constrictions ...

There is also a leather fronted gore-tex mitt. The inner mitts work well with them too ;)

These mitts (inner and outer) came from RTI Military Surplus in Lutterworth. They also have a couple of the button Austrian Guide
jumpers (more for the racing snake than the more beefy).

The usual disclaimers apply ~ I'm just a happy and repeat customer and have received no recompense to mention them by name.

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'd always thought that Polyamide is Nylon.........Nicht war?

Hold the front page! I've just had a read, and you're exactly right in your description, yet again I've been educated here :)

A very comprehensive and interesting review of these mitts, thanks for posting.

Last edited:

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Thank you very much for taking the time & effort to post all of this information up. I was unaware of these, but now think they may have to go on my list of things to purchase.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I'd always thought that Polyamide is Nylon.........Nicht war?

Hold the front page! I've just had a read, and you're exactly right in your description, yet again I've been educated here :)
>>><<<

I was under the same impression, so it was news to me too :D As to what is actually used ... :dunno: ... I've had cause to grab and shift hetal which I considered hot enough to damage nylon fabric and the material was unmarked ~ which is not to say that all mitts have the same facing ;)

Thank you very much for taking the time & effort to post all of this information up. I was unaware of these, but now think they may have to go on my list of things to purchase.

No worries. They're good mitts :D

(The inner mitts might leave you inclined to do shadow puppet shows and utter such lines as "Go on, do Deformed Rabbit ... it's my favourite" ;) )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE