Czech wildlife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
IMAG0340_zps7e84091a.jpg

Damn I'm missing the green stuff :)

Still, not long now until the solstice.

Great pics as always.

BushrangerCZ

Nomad
Dec 23, 2010
in the woods
Good picture, looks like a lot of logging going on, is this all sustainably managed?
Hello mate, yes, lot of logging, but it´s sustainable... forestry has a long tradition here and it´s in interest of loggers to keep the hills deforested - the soil would be washed away. Also, you can see that they try to go back to natural mixture of woodland, getting more beech instead of spruce monocultures, which used to be most common in "ordinary" forests (I mean areas not included in natural reserves, parks etc.). You don´t even need to plant young beeches here, just let the land be and in 20 years there´s gonna be beech woodland with a bit of maple and birch.

Here is a map of woodland over here:
000292_05_001169.jpg

Last edited:

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Thanks for sharing bushranger.. I really need to get myself over there one day. I think visiting your country again is high on my to do list. I spent some time in Prague in the 90's but didn't get to see the countryside. A week or two hiking in the hills I think. What's the access like over there, out in the woods, hills?

BushrangerCZ

Nomad
Dec 23, 2010
in the woods
Hi Quietone... access is generally good as domestic tourism is very popular. If you tell me what you´re looking for, I will recommend you something what suits you (on anyone on this forum).

BushrangerCZ

Nomad
Dec 23, 2010
in the woods
Couple months ago, I started my personal little project - searching for little wild spots around my hometown (let´s say up to 30 min drive by car). My requirements are: no tracks, buildings or human made structures in sight and in any direction up to 300m, no fresh signs of woodworkers, no trash. Not much time for this, so I had to perfect my method to be effective - I usually start with Mapsource software and tip all possible places in promising area, then confirm it on Google Earth - usually I find numerous trails unmarked on topo maps. If something still looks good, then I go there personally. Not an easy place to find (as wood trails are almost everywhere), but today I have found another one, even with quite clear creek, swarming with Bullhead fishes! Good day:)

Image00005_zps53eed20d.jpg

Image00009_zpsaa230a63.jpg

Image00011_zps6ed4cbe5.jpg

Image00012_zps3c5356d6.jpg

Image00004_zps0c6d7127.jpg

Last edited:

BushrangerCZ

Nomad
Dec 23, 2010
in the woods
Been outside today to retrieve trail cam, but it got broken... good news are that wildlife along the way was abundant... roe deer, woodpeckers, even herd of curiousmouflons! Nature is awakening, it´s beautiful in the hills now:

Image00002_zps446478ec.jpg

Image00015_zpsd2a8bf14.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE