cutting down a hunters axe, Gransfors...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
I am curious to know if anyone has done this in order to take the best use of weight and combine it with the shorter handle allowing more control in actual use. I have been comtemplating this for a while now
any opinions would be nice

woodwalker1987

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2010
essex
that axe won design awards as it is! if i were you i'd leave it be, but thats just me.

i would also say the desire to 'customize' things in such a way is a bug that befalls all man!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Personally I find my GFB (SFA - about the same size) to have the great virtue of versitility due to its size...I can do pretty much anything from dropping small trees to roughing out spoons with it...this would be lost if I cut it down.
I would advise leaving it the length it is and getting another axe such as the Mini Hatchet for a shorter ax. :)

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I wouldn't mind seeing a heavier head on a small forest axe. - but again that is personal preference.

Can't say I would ever cut a handle down.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
I already have the small forest axe though, But this comtemplation befell me because of one thing, if T****, I wouldn't know which one to take, so I thought maybe the heavier steel on the same handle size I am used to would be better than having to choose one.

And yes I do find sometimes the longer handle to be overkill, so I usually use the sfa anyway.

If your advising me to leave it though, thats what I shall do.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE