Cut/Wear-Protection

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Earlyturtle

Forager
Nov 5, 2007
Bristol, England
Hi there, been looking at this site the last couple of days and put up a few posts today, but never too late for an intro!
My name's Mike, I recently got an interest in green woodworking and have had an interest in Bushcraft for a while. Intro done :)

So, I've been whittling spoons and I keep wearing the skin off my thumbs (and occasionally get a cut). I assume the cuts will go down as I gain wisdom through experience (and as my skin toughens up), but I was wondering if anyone on here uses gloves and/or can reccommend a good pair of cut/wear-resistant gloves that I can buy in the U.K.?
(Wasn't sure whether to put this in the kit section or the edged tools section, so s0rry if it's in the wrong place.)

Thanks,
Mike

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I mostly use a stretchy rubber-like medical grip tape to cover my thumb and forefinger. I tried leather finger guards and kevlar gloves but found them to bulky for most of my carving.

I find the grip tape in the adhesive bandage area of my local drug store...not sure if you have such materials there, but it is well worth trying to find. Standard cloth adhesive tape works, but the stretchy grip tape stuff is really much better.

When I donate blood the grip tape is used to afix a pressure bandage.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mike,

I use knitted kevlar gloves when sharpening and carving. If you need real control just wear one on your "supporting" hand. They are pictured in my "how to sharpen an axe" thread since that absolutely will bite you bad without gloves. There are plenty of stockists and they can be found on E-bay too.

Red

Earlyturtle

Forager
Nov 5, 2007
Bristol, England
Thanks for the help guys.
I've been putting plasters on beforehand for a while, but I often have to change them when they get worn out so I think I will hunt down some Kevlars.
Mike

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Chain mail glove is another option. Butcher suppliers will have them.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Be carefull when buying kevlar gloves.
Some advertised as kevlar only have kevlar thread holding the material pieces together rather than in the material itself.
Get a reputable make and check is good advice

Chain mail gloves are good but expensive. I think I've seen them in Bushwear IIRC for £60-70

Mark

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I use welding gloves. This may sound strange, as one would think welding gloves to be big and clumsy, but so far I haven't found a single task where they have been a nuisance.

They are made of some nubuck-looking leather, and a nice little cuff. Great for handling hot pots and frying with a frying pan over a fire. As they are somewhat insulated they are ok for chilly days in the bush too. But one thing though, I wouldn't weld in them :D If you look around your local toolshop I'm sure you'll find something similar. Otherwise, ordinary working gloves are ok too.

Hopes this helps!

EDIT: Oh, found a picture!
40530405_2730.jpg

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
I use Marigold kevlar gloves if I'm handling sharp things like knives or metal with sharp burrs. I find the medium weight ones are a good compromise between protection and dexterity. They protect against a sharp edge but not a point. Spectra fibre offes more protection and chain mail is the best.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Mike, give me a couple of days before you buy any and I may get you some foc.
They would be Kevlar gloves cut resistant not stab resistant.
Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE