cut throat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spade13

Oct 12, 2005
manchester
dose any body know how to sharped a cut throats blade ,as i have just been given one that is beond a simple stroping :D . thanks

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Waterstones are the way to go. I have a Norton 4000/8000 combination stone which does the job (unless the edge is really knackered you won't really want any lower grits than the 4000).

Most straight razors are hollow ground, so sharpening them is relatively easy in principal (although getting it super sharp isn't so easy). Just lay the blade flat on the stone - this should automatically give you the correct angle. Don't put any pressure on the blade - just let the weight of the blade do the work for you. Always move in the direction of the edge (pulling it back produced a burr which isn't good news). At the end of each stroke roll the blade over its spine (not the edge) to do the other side.

For a blade that's ok, I do about 10 strokes each on the 4000 and 8000 grits, then do 5 each then 3 each, then finish off with a few very light strokes on the 8000. Then strop on leather until super sharp (hopefully).

Good luck!

Mark

Once the razor is honed as above, I like to strop on cardboard impregnated lightly with green buffing compound to give polish, then strop as normal. Remember to only use proper stones - razor hones can be got from ebay if waterstones are too expensive - and to hone/strop with no pressure.
The test I use is that if the razor will easily cut free held bathroom tissue then it's at the point where it's OK for shaving. Any rough spots or nicks on edge will become apparent with that that test before they become apparent on skin...

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Wow, you guys actually use straight razors? I'm impressed! I'm not quite that daring; but since I don't like these stupid cartridge razors, I use an old gold plated double edge that's dated about 1955, my Grandfather's badger brush and a cake of soap. But....I wouldn't trust myself with a straight razor, I value my jugular vein too much.

Just my $0.02 cents!

Adam

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Where can a good quality straight razor be bought from these days folks? I don't want something thats made of old bean cans, but nor do I want to have to take out a mortgage for the thing. I shaved with what had been my grandfathers cut-throat razor for the first 4 years or so of ever needing to shave. I managed to break it by sitting on it whilst at camp (It was closed and in my jeans back pocket when I sat on a log :( ) I'd like another but do not know good from bad when it comes to razors. Any recomendations?

spade13

Oct 12, 2005
manchester
you guys always amaze me on hear there is always some one that can answer thanks alot for ur msg. the good ones are expensive, but try antique fairs they aare about £20 if you dont mine them being dullish. :You_Rock_

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Longstider, try a barber supply shop, I carry one for bush travel. After sharpening blade I use a cotton strap to snag off micro burrs and them strop on a leather strap (pants, the flat of my belt in bush)
CG :yo:

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Probably the best shop for straight razors is www.classicshaving.com. They start at $60-70, which actually isn't too bad when you consider the $-£ exchange rate.

The alternative is to contact the guys at www.straightrazorplace.com. Some of them (such as the owner Lynn) sell reconditioned razors - and since these guys really know their stuff you can get some really nice ones and super-dooper sharp for not very much.

If you're lucky you can find old ones yourselves that you can do up if you know what you're doing (I don't!)

Mark

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
manchester s.d said:
dose any body know how to sharped a cut throats blade ,as i have just been given one that is beond a simple stroping :D . thanks

I just check junk shops and antique shops for razor stones. They are relatively cheap that way. I use the same stones on all my best knives. Takes a while, but produces an incredibly sharp edge.

PG

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
addyb said:
Wow, you guys actually use straight razors? I'm impressed! I'm not quite that daring;

I used to use a cut-throat, I never cut myself with it, not once. Compare that to my Wilkinson Sword Protector, which used to slice my face up every time.

Now I've got a beard, but I do miss my cut throat.

Pappa

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
OldJimbo said:
If anybody's interested we could start a thread to see if other people's experiences match mine.

Go for it. It's fascinating stuff, and good value too (I haven't given any money to Mr Gillette for quite a while now).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE