Cut down Baker tent?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Before I start doing plans and gathering materials does any one know of acommercially available tent which is basically the same as a Baker style tent but which is only as high at the back as a large adult sitting down and slightly higher at the front?

By Baker I mean the box like affairs that one long side opens up to form a awning.

The ideal size for me would be 7 foot long, wide enough to take two sleeping mats with a bit of elbow room, high enough for me to sit up at the back ( I'll have to get someone to measure me sitting down) and with slight slopes built into all the panels.

7 foot should be more than enough for me and three kids to face a fire.

I' ve been thinking of making something like this for a while, locally sourced poles to hold it up but with plenty of guying points to tie it to branches if required.

Ive 7 yards of 72 inch linen canvas to start me off and can get more although I was thinking of something heavier and water proof for a box sewn in ground sheet.

I'm torn between making it "period" and building in a mossie net at the front and closing it with zips.

Anyroad before I get further does anyone make the like as if the works already been done, why bother!?

Im also undecieded whether to make it , well basically camouflaged and building a long viewing slot into one long side, with a suitable seal, so it can be used as a hide. That may be getting away from my original wish for a simple design.

Anyroad I'd welcome your thoughts

Atb

Tom

Last edited:

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
You may want to give Eric Methven (on this site) a pm, IIRC he had one made, and may be able to advise.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Yup, that's getting there, shame it's made from something so flammable.

Atb

Tom

Indeed but the idea is there. The instructables link is good though and I can see no reason why you couldn't convert it to a canvas variant.

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Indeed. theres a bit more dead space, well not dead space but space thats only usefull in storing kit rather than to sit under in those designs.

Heres a fag packet sketch of the basic design I am after. Ok the sides will have to come around the front a bit to make a good seal but You'll get my drift I hope, sizes in inches. Single skin of mid weight flax linen canvas for top, not sure what the best material for the base but nominally water proofed heavy weight linen canvas/sailcloth.

tentplan01.jpg

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
In the Mason book "Song of The Paddle" there are plans for the full and cut down size BT's. If you don't have access PM your address and I'll copy and post the relevant pages to you.
Alan

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Thanks Alan
the plan for the cut down BT you sent is spot on, I'm planning on making it as described but without the windows at the back.

Just musing whether it's worth getting someone with large stocks of the right linen canvas to make it up professionally or try and work out how much more I need to buy and cobble it together myself, paying middle man prices for the material.

I think having a separate waterproof footprint/ groundsheet protector would be better than trying to waterproof the base.

Atb and thanks again!

Tom

PS you can buy them in cotton canvas, but are 820 US dollars a pop! I think I'll be making my own then!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE