Customs...part time?

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
We landed at about 8:45am at Heathrow and made our way to the customs hall expecting a line to get through. Nothing could have been further from the truth all lanes, red, green and blue were empty not a customs uniform in sight???? I could have driven a Challenger through customs and no one would have stopped me. We didn't have anything to declare anyway but I, at least, expected someone to be there.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Yes, it seems to be a lottery as to whether you get stopped or not. They'll tell you that even though you can see nobody they are watching you, and often have done background checks from the passenger list to assess the risk involved. They are also very aware of where flights have come from and what their possible connections with "high-risk original port of departure" may have been.

That's what I've been told by airport personnel, so only anecdotal.....................

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
Just a word of warning though, if next time you do decide to drive a challenger through be aware the cost of parking (if you can even find somewhere to park) in London is astronomical.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
At Leeds/Bradford Airport they used to have a counter with a steel roller shutter on it. If you arrived in the evening and the shutter was down there was a bell push next to it with the sign, 'If you have anything to declare please ring this bell'. LBA used to shut at night back then.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Peli cases are pretty awesome. I did a couple of demos to customers with my LR Discovery parked on mine with my GPS in it to show how tough they were.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
They look great fun :)

Peli cases are pretty awesome. I did a couple of demos to customers with my LR Discovery parked on mine with my GPS in it to show how tough they were.

I can be confident that my laptop and gear won't be damaged by folks trying to overstuff the overhead locker but the cases do look a bit unusual and so often attract the attention of customs officers.

peli.png

However they also make nice seats and desks on building sites. :)

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
At Leeds/Bradford Airport they used to have a counter with a steel roller shutter on it. If you arrived in the evening and the shutter was down there was a bell push next to it with the sign, 'If you have anything to declare please ring this bell'. LBA used to shut at night back then.

On my last trip to Scotland the flight arrived really late, after midnight sometime. The customs desks were all shut up, I don't doubt that someone was on duty and watching but there was no sign.

Being tight and hard up I decided just to sit in the airport until the morning and get some work done, much to my surprise the police made a round at about 01:00 and quizzed everyone there and inspected IDs. No baggage checks though. :)

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Depends on also where you arrived from. Spain holiday flights are not even worth the time, the guy at passport control waves you through in Spain and surprisingly you can get to Spain without a passport if you loose it, but not Holland . I cannot ever remember coming back from Spain and having my passport checked UK side. It more or less relies on check in I believe. If you had purchased a one way ticket at short notice in Colombia to heathrow, they may have pulled you. But then again dogs and xrays make up a lot of workload these days.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE