VAT, customs duties, handling fees etc out of Europe 2021?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Id say he has been given a vast amount of duff info, a US based seller does not have to register with HMRC, does not require a UK Vat Reg and is not responsible for paying UK VAT, anymore than a UK seller has to register and pay taxes to the US Dept of Commerce or whatever its called.

VAT & Duty is payable by the importer not the exporter, and even so i believe, but cannot currently check, that VAT is not added to amounts up to something like £30.00 and duty is not payable on amounts of around £100.00 i think it is, you may incur a handling fee from the carriage company DPD, TNT, Royal Mail etc though
He sells direct from his own website, not from an online marketplace which would have to do the collection.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
He sells direct from his own website, not from an online marketplace which would have to do the collection.
not if he is US based, he is not responsible for collecting taxes on behalf of HMRC anymore than i am for collecting taxes on behalf of the US Govt.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Yes, especially if more countries, and even in the case of the US more states start demanding a cut.

Having to register your company in every state & country that it has customers in is nonsensical.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Man, im glad im not in the import/export game any longer, life is much simpler up the woods with a chainsaw.

Reactions: Stew

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I guess if a small business, it would make it easier to sell it all via Amazon fulfilment services, and let them deal with the VAT. Governments shouldn't be encouraging more monopolistic behaviour, which this seems to do.

Last edited:

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I purchased a knife from brisa, post brexit, fully expecting to have to pay vat and import fees when it arrived. The price on the website was euro but when I put my address is the price went down, presumably because some eu tax was deducted.

the knife turned up at my door via dhl and there was nothing to pay,

I am beyond confused tbh

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Count it a win :)

My favourite shoes are made in Portugal. The very helpful seller (in Portugal) has asked me not to order any more until things are more settled and we both know what documentation, fees, etc., to expect.
He mostly sells in Portugal, Spain, France and Italy but has a widespread customer group in the UK.

I am most dischuffed. I loathe badly made shoes, and his company makes beautiful and very comfortable shoes that are like foot gloves :)

alphaburner

Jan 17, 2014
Cork, Ireland
Hi All,
I'm wondering are you getting charged VAT, for second hand items, being purchased outside of the UK. I'm wondering as I'm clearing out most of my collection but don't want to advertise here if guys will get caught for hidden charges?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I bought a rucksack from Poland and asked the seller about import duties. As it was under £139 there is no charge. Value was declared on the customs label at £134.95 and I wasn’t charged.

I’ll double check later, but it’s on the gov.uk website somewhere.

alphaburner

Jan 17, 2014
Cork, Ireland
Ok, looks like multitools etc. wont be a problem as they’ll be below £139. Might have to go Ireland only for the Alan Woods and other maker stuff. Thanks for the responses.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE