Customised Svord Peasent - Show yours.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hi Folks,
Last year I did a trade with the multiple personalitied Benn formally of this parish, he got a few bits off me and I got a Svord Peasent. I'd seen these knives before and sorta like the simplicty of them. Finally picked mine up from the UK on a visit there and brought it home for a serious looking at.

First thoughts: Yeah, it was OK as bog standard but I wanted this as a project and knew it wouldn't be staying in it's factory format for long.

So here's a reminder of what one of these beast looks like out of the box:

svord01_by_bikerbloke-d4rnez1.jpg

And here's what I did with it after a few evenings and spare time here and there:

The brass pin you see above my thumbnail is a 4mm bolt which I screwed into the side of the scales as the stop for the blade as it closes and opens. I wanted a more mechanical method of keeping the scales together and not reply soley on the pivot bolt.

svord02_by_bikerbloke-d4rnetf.jpg

It's made from Brazilian lacewood that I got in a bag of offcuts from my mate Paul who makes jewellery boxes and pens in his workshop. I nabbed a big bag of bits and the lacewood was amongst it.
In fairness the flash has made it seem more red than in reality, and the grain pattern isn't so pronounced now after the coating of linseed oil I gave it last night, still pretty though.

svord03_by_bikerbloke-d4rneng.jpg

Fitted with oak liners set at an angle from the grain of the lacewood so as to reinforce it with a laminate action between the two grains.

svord04_by_bikerbloke-d4rnehn.jpg

I also added an insert piece at the pommel end to match the thickness of the blade.

svord05_by_bikerbloke-d4rnefh.jpg

Because of the curves of the handle in its closed position the point of the knife protruded too much so I ground it to a more aggresive drop point, I really like the new profile now.
In the process of shaping the blade I also gave it a really good sharpen up. You could have ridden bear-ar$ed to Birmingham on the previous edge. Now it shaves my arm with ease. I also polished it up as you can see... oooooh shiney

svord06_by_bikerbloke-d4rnecz.jpg

Just need to make some sort of sheath for it.. then again I might not bother, seems sorta OK as is I think.

Thanks for viewing.

Got a Svord you're doing up or have done up? Please show it, I'd love to see what other creative hands have done. As a taster Mountainm also did a custom job on his own Svord which you can see in the link below.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82831&highlight=

Last edited:

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Not pic handy, but I fixed the one sided bevel, sanded the wooden scales that came with it removing the lacquer and then applied boiled linseed oil. I just cant get along with it, I used it to remove some pine resin the other day and almost bent the pivot pin. Im looking at making my own sometime soon.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
Nice bit of work there Aaron!! I Really like the lacewood and the unorthodox (for a peasant) handle shape.

Been wanting to have a play with one of these for a while i might just get around to it at some point lol

Dave

Biker

AH yes

i replaced the Handle the blade and the hardware on mine ;)

I had a workshop broom like that had it about 10 years and it lasted well too, only needed two new handles and about 3 heads but it's still going strong :lmao:

Hey Mike I really do hope you get back and finsih your Svord upgrade.

Thanks for your comments Dreadhead, Ski, Sam & Dave. Now show your stuff!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Very nice!
All I did to mine was shorten the grind from the handle end to make it sub 3" and sand the but end to less of a point...
I like the raw-ness of the basic design and the knife gets daily use.
I made a simple belt sheath for it as well as it is a heck of a lump in a pocket :)

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I have a couple of nice pieces of bog oak to do the scales on mine and plan to regrind the blade
to make it street legal.Mine was very sharp out of the box but is better now.I really like it as a knife
but as John F said it needs a belt pouch as it is a chunky knife for an edc.
Cheers , Simon

Biker

Ooooh pretty!

Yesterday I coated mine in mustard for a forced patina. I read about it on here or some website. Anyway smeared Dijon mustard over it using my finger and left it in my vice for 5 mins while I did somehting else, then got back to it and gave it a wipe off. yeah pretty nice effect, sorta got leopard spots on one side and a wonky tiger stripes on the other. Must be dependant on the thickness of the mustard. I plan on giving it another go tonight for a more dappled effect.

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
I have disassembled the knife sanded the scales treated with lots of Tung oil then just re profiled the blade to 3" and reduced the cutting edge to less than 3" to comply with S139 points & blades, I also made a neck sheath out of a piece of scrap leather

DSC00121.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC00120.jpg
[/IMG]

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Im in the process of making new scales for it out of cherry wood. Will keep you lot posted. Biker where did you get a "brass" 4mm bolt from ? I like your thinking and could do with some materials to replace the original pin and bolts with.

Biker

Biker where did you get a "brass" 4mm bolt from ? I like your thinking and could do with some materials to replace the original pin and bolts with.

I'm a bit of a hoarder of screws, nails and bolts etc. I'm a carpenter by trade so having a bit of stock of assorted fixings to call upon is always a handy thing. I just dug through one of my many margarine pots and found that bolt. My advice is take the brass sleeve from the Svord to your local DIY shop, better yet a back street iron monger (support the little businesses) and see what they have that fits.

Many thanks for the images and reports people have added to this thread. Hope to see more of your works soon as thosee projects progress.

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
This was done a couple of years or so back, english oak liners with red fibre liners, blade down to a tad under 3". My first leather sheath, wet formed and stitched with red whipping twine to match the liners and lanyard wrap. This sees use day in and day out so I occasionally give the scales a rub down and an oil. The sheath is getting a nice patination, the black area is from when it was out in the rain for a couple of nights!

DSCF4131.jpg

DSCF4132.jpg

DSCF4133.jpg

Biker

Thanks for showing 'em fellas.

Duncan I KNEW I'd seen your knife before, this was long before I got my own Svord. Weren't you making them to order? I seem to recall that the toggle end was used for relasing shopping trolleys at the supermarkets, or have I got my facts mixed up there?

Sweet looking knives chaps, thanks for showing.

Getting that itch to make a sheath for my own one now, not that it needs it, but it's another project for the "to do" list.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE