Custom Drawgouge Sheath

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Today I had the pleasure of personally delivering a unique drawgouge sheath commissioned by a local craftsman over at Kiln Cottage. Arthouse. I had a lot of fun making this, and it couldn't go to a nicer bloke.
Mike & Diane also pointed out a Kiln quarry hidden in the woods, so I got to have a poke around some spooky caves looking for trolls on my way back :)

HalfGoat Drawgouge Sheath 2 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr
HalfGoat Drawgouge Sheath 3 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr
HalfGoat Drawgouge Sheath 4 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Lime Quarry 2 by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Lime Quarry by Hamish Odinson, on Flickr

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Sounds like a grand day Hamish. Nice when you get to make nice things for nice people and you've done a nice job on the sheath for that gouge. Was it difficult due to the odd shape of the tool? Don't imagne there was much ref material to go on?
That quarry looks good. Does it go deep? There's something primal about a cave and going underground. Be good to hear what you find out.
Cheers for letting us see the gouge and cover. Nice work.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Dreadhead

Cheers Colin :) ye the shape is a bit odd, but once I got my pattern right, a bit of wet forming later and voila :)

The quarry was damn spooky I tell you. There is around 5 or 6 shafts, about 4 metres square openings and they go back for miles apparently. Honestly looked like the exact place you would find trolls. Doesn't help that folk have let the woods reclaim the area so they are hidden in a deep thicket. When I've next got some free time I think I'll take some torches down and explore :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
No watching The 13th Warrior, The Descent or Blair Witch afore you go. :D
Some pictures would be cool. I do like caves. I used to sleep over in a wee one I found over in Fife a bit years ago. You ever been down in the caves in Chedder?

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Me thinks Hamish has been watching Troll Hunter :rolleyes:

One of the weirdest mines I've visited is Speedwell in Derbyshire... you travel down tunnels that have been dug out by hand, tunnels now full of water so you have to go by boat... very weird. Another favourite of mine (no pun intended) is the Blue John mine, just down the road from Speedwell. I could spend hours in there, its amazing.

Nice leatherwork as usual though Hamish... does it retain its shape when you take it off, or is it a soft leather sheath?

Dreadhead

No watching The 13th Warrior, The Descent or Blair Witch afore you go. :D
Some pictures would be cool. I do like caves. I used to sleep over in a wee one I found over in Fife a bit years ago. You ever been down in the caves in Chedder?

Haha there will be 13th warrior aplenty before I head down there! Will take pics when I do get round to it :) Never been to chedder gorge/caves but have heard its really good

Me thinks Hamish has been watching Troll Hunter :rolleyes:

One of the weirdest mines I've visited is Speedwell in Derbyshire... you travel down tunnels that have been dug out by hand, tunnels now full of water so you have to go by boat... very weird. Another favourite of mine (no pun intended) is the Blue John mine, just down the road from Speedwell. I could spend hours in there, its amazing.

Nice leatherwork as usual though Hamish... does it retain its shape when you take it off, or is it a soft leather sheath?

Would love to check out the caves by boat, sounds great. Watched a documentary a while back about some caves in America that are only accessible by boat and are full of ancient carvings.

The sheath has been wet formed with 2mm veg tan leather, so it's actually quire rigid when removed and retains its shape nicely.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Looks cracking Hamish!

We used to explore limestone caves we're I used to live - you could get in about 30 feet before it got a tricky. They were natural and unmapped as far as I know - not very big but good fun going for a poke around :).

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Would love to check out the caves by boat, sounds great. Watched a documentary a while back about some caves in America that are only accessible by boat and are full of ancient carvings.

If you fancy going one day, more than happy take you... I'd love to go down their again. Maybe arrange to attend a meet that is within traveling distance of Speedwell... we can bob over there one of the days.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
That would be braw mate :) sounds like a plan Indeed

Sent from my SM-T230 using Tapatalk

PM me when you're free to travel, I'll find us a local meet... rest is logistics :)

I'd offer to pick you up, but I get the feeling you're far north of the wall... even Jon Snow didn't travel too far from the wall, there be White walkers up that way!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE