cup burner

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
one of the things over the years I've sought a solution for is cooking with my steel cups - from my alloy german to the more recent american and crusader versions I've always been irritated by the flames being round and mup being oval. normally Ive just turned the heat down.

the army realised this and have a special adapter for hexi stoves in with the new ones. My thought though is has anyone made a pepsican stove and only cut half the holes out?

I've made shed loads of full ones but havent tried this technique - yet. :)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i'm planning to make one with the jets pointing inwards. i just need to get a couple of cans.
project for this week i think.
toast toppers tin and red bull can i think (i can make it lower profile while retaining capacity)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
another thought,
how about splitting the rim into 4 90 degree arcs.
two with holes on the outside of the rim, two on the inside of the rim.
that should spread the flame to match the shape of the base of the cup.
hmmm
worth experimenting ithink.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i got the stuff today. one toast toppers tin and a red bull can.
i'm going to make the stove tomorrow. i'll try to take some photos, do a how-to and a comparison between the regular hole plattern and the new one.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
the experiment went on today.
i made the stove this morning. the base was made from a toast toppers tin, the top half is made from a red bull can.

i cut the two cans off 45mm from the base. i fitted them together, made a hole in the top for filling, and drilled the holes in the rim.
i quartered the top and drilled four holes (0.8mm) vertically in two opposite quadrants and three holes in the other two in the sides of the rim.

while burning this means that some of the flame comes straight up and some comes out to the sides this means that the flame pattern matches the base of the crusader cup more closely.

i did some time tests today with this stove and compared it to a stove made from two red bull cans with all the holes in the side of the rim.

the test

250ml of cold water
crusader cup with lid
crusader cooker.

each stove got 30ml of fuel in the stove body and the same amount of fuel to prime the stove.

the new stove got the water to a rolling boil in 6 min 5 sec with fuel to spare.
the old stove didn't quite get the water boiling after 7min when the fuel ran out.

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Thanks Neil.

When you made yours, assuming that you went for a simple design rather than one with an open reservoir like the Trangia, how big is the fill hole and is it in the centre of the tin?

Thanks

David

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
There are lots of instructions here: http://zenstoves.net/

I've made quite a few different stoves, more recently sideburner stoves (so I don't need a potstand).

With the "pepsi can" type stove I think you can either:
Make a huge hole like a trangia burner and leave it open
Make some small holes or drill a 1/4" ish in the centre and leave it open
Drill a 1/4" ish hole in the centre and use a glued nut/bolt or a coin to seal the fill holes to build up burner pressure.

Best to look at the instructions in the link - there's any number of combinations.

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
The cheaper Red Bull equivalent are the same sized cans (if you're going to pour it away) or use V8 vegetable juice ones or the little Schweppes tonic, ginger ale etc or trial sized soft drinks cans.

The toast toppers cans are the same size as cans of tomato puree or Heinz baby food.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
scanker said:
I'm sure Graham will answer himself, but when I've made these before the Redbull goes over the toast toppers.

That's the way round I did it too as the aluminum is more stretchy than the tin/steel.

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
That, and if you're not going to glue the joint between the tins with JB Weld or similar, any leaks will point downwards rather than upwards.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
the base goes inside the lid.
sand the outside and rim of the toast toppers tin a little, and be gentle when pushing them together. the aluminium can split if forced.

if you are using a sealed reservoir pressure stove you need to glue the two halves together.
however.
if (like me) you use a coin to seal the fuel filler, you don't need to glue it together.
the coin will work as a pressure relief valve and prevent an over pressurisation.

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Well threw together version one of my mini meths burner for use with my Crusader stove.

Went down the basic route, the bottoms of two can's (Britvic 55 - more palatable than Red Bull :) )

I followed the burn pattern recomended for the cup and added six holes in the middle for filling and to provide central heat.

Works a treat :D

Took a while to prime though, ended up having to slop quite a bit of fuel in the base of the Crusader to get the meths to vaporise in the stove.

However it burnt long enough to get the 2/3 cup too hot to drink.

Also made it too tall so it does pack away with the stove in situ.

Any suggestions why it took so much priming? I don't have this problem with my Trangia :confused:

Maybe the holes were too small - I used a bradle so the were about 1mm ?

So need to buy a couple more cans and make it smaller.

Thanks

Moduser

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE