Cuben Vs SilNylon bivi base

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
So, I'm looking at adding a MLD Superlight Bivi to my TrailStar order and wondered about folks thoughts on a Cuben Vs slippy SilNylon floor? Is the Cuben really fragile/ puncture prone? Is it as slippy as SilNylon?

I've never seen / used Cuben before and although the weight of the SilNylon doesn't bother me, it's slippy-ness certainly does!

Cheers folks.

KP

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
No its quite tough but I wouldn't use it directly on floor, most people use some sort of ground sheet first like tyvek, polycro or a ccf mat etc.

To get around silnylon slippynes just put some blobs of sealant on your inner or ground sheet etc.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
I went for the cuben based one, hoping it's not as slippy as silnylon. Should be easier to repair any snags with the tape they use on some cuben items. I'l be happy using polycro underneath the bivvy, I use it on the floor under my hammock all the time.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I went for the cuben based one, hoping it's not as slippy as silnylon. Should be easier to repair any snags with the tape they use on some cuben items. I'l be happy using polycro underneath the bivvy, I use it on the floor under my hammock all the time.

MLD Superlight? How long you had it bud or have you got it on order? Would like to check that out before I put order in :)

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
SilNylon side zip bivi arrived today an it looks really good. Funny though, the label of the box said it was not to be delivered until the custom fees had been paid... And yet it was delivered? Can I expect an invoice???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
SilNylon side zip bivi arrived today an it looks really good. Funny though, the label of the box said it was not to be delivered until the custom fees had been paid... And yet it was delivered? Can I expect an invoice???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No you should be fine now. Sometimes they let stuff through by mistake.

Is yours the borah? Can you check via usps when yours was sent as mine still seems to be stuck in US.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 4

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Dammit. Same dates as mine except mine is still at the 8th June position so looks like customs haven't sorted mine yet maybe :(

I'm hoping to get out mid-week so fingers crossed I may get it by then. :)

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Can anyone tell me where I could check out polycro and a picture or link would help

It's not always easy to find as a specific groundsheet product in the UK (you can find it much more easily in the US from companies such as Gossamer Gear) and I've no idea about Hong Kong but it is pretty easy to get, and cheaper too, if you go to a home improvement centre or builder's merchant like Wickes and look for secondary glazing film. Polycryo is essentially the stuff you heat seal onto existing windows for a bit of extra insulation.

Alternatively, Backpackinglight.co.uk stock some Tyvek groundsheets.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Can anyone tell me where I could check out polycro and a picture or link would help

This is where you can get it in UK..
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Stormguard-Seasonal-Secondary-Glazing-Film-6sqm/p/210014

Adz, be good to no how much you get stung by customs, I am about to put an order in with borah myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gimme a shout in few days bud. Hopefully should have it by then :)

Sorry mate, never saw the question. Yes MLD Superlight, been on order for a while now, I'll let you have a look at somepoint.

I forgot I had asked or would have text you. I should have my Borah in a few days but would be interested in seeing the MLD bivi as well. Bring it on our next trip if you have it. :)

Last edited:

Wigate

Forager
Nov 19, 2006
Hong Kong
Bigjackbrass and ADz-1983 thank you for your kind assistance. Just landed from San Francisco yesterday. Too bad I could have checked out at the home deport etc. did manage to pop into REI though. Fantastic array of camping gear!

I have just received in May the MLD eventSoulBivi with cuben fiber base and its fantastic yet $$$ it has a built in semi rigid pop up frame above the opening around the face.cuben material is super light and totally waterproof. Easy to repair by using taped patches in cuben which can be ordered.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Did you have to pay that before delivery?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Usually you will get a grey card through door telling you that you need to pay charges. Once you have paid your item will be delivered couple of days later or you can pickup at your depot sme day.

..or if you're lucky somebody will balls up and it gets sent without payment :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE