Cuben Fiber Bishop Bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Had some cuben fiber deivered last week and finally got time to have a play.

Thought a bishop bag for my warbonnet would be a good easy project and i also had the one that came with it to mug the dimensions from. Only took 15 minutes from start to finish. Final weight is 7 grams which is a saving of 20 grams on the one that came with it.

Not really an economical weight saving considering the cost of the material but its nice stuff to work with. Interestingly my scissors just wouldnt cut it very well at all but a craft knife trims it very nicely.

Ive got some ideas for an adaptation to make it more useful for other things but thats for another day

Last edited:

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Good work :)

Nicer to work with than super slippery silnylon isn't it! Can't quite see from the pic but did you bond or sew? Dare I ask how much you bought?

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
mkII is clever mate, won't you have to detach the SRL to slide it along though?

No mate, it prussics on. the lines get wrapped through the webbing loop a few times to lock it and then the knot is passed through the loop and the cord lock tightened to the SRL to keep it in place.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Looks great Paul, good work, stitching looks very neat, I reckon you'd sell a few if you decide to go ahead... if only I still had my hammock... another reason to put a new setup together...:)

...This stuff it only 19gms so im not convinced it will take much abuse.

I've found the 19gm stuff to be quite hard wearing, some folk suggest bonding is stronger than sewing as the stitch holes can introduce areas of stress and any weight could in theory start to pull at the dyneema (or spectre) threads in the cuben, so far I've had no problems with either method though :)

What's next on your 'to make' list?

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Looks great Paul, good work, stitching looks very neat, I reckon you'd sell a few if you decide to go ahead... if only I still had my hammock... another reason to put a new setup together...:)

I've found the 19gm stuff to be quite hard wearing, some folk suggest bonding is stronger than sewing as the stitch holes can introduce areas of stress and any weight could in theory start to pull at the dyneema (or spectre) threads in the cuben, so far I've had no problems with either method though :)

What's next on your 'to make' list?

yea ideally i would have bonded but tape is expensive and i already have the sewing setup. Good news on the durability then. ill see how it holds up to some use.

Not sure what to make next

I need to replace all my stuffsacks as i reckon i can save a fair bit of weight off my mountain loadout but i need some different colours lol.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm looking forward to seeing the hybrid stuff from Zpacks when my pack arrives, interesting vid from Joe showing the tear strength of different weights ..

[video=youtube;8gfcuCh7h04]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gfcuCh7h04[/video]

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
First for me it was Trailstar envy, now it's cuben fibre! Please stop before I buy something in cuben that my wife will make me regret!
Nice work by the way!

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
I'm looking forward to seeing the hybrid stuff from Zpacks when my pack arrives...

I've got a bottle shoulder pouch thing made from the hybrid cuben and it seems like tough stuff. Looking forward to hearing how you get on with the pack, look good and seem to get good write ups, which capacity did you go for?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE