Cryotex super hardened stainless steel kitchen knives

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Being an avid outdoor enthusiast, whilst watching the tv, I noticed the cryotex kitchen knife range featuring cryogenically hardened stainless steel, resulting in super sharp, hard, and flexible. Does anybody have any experience, or know of any knives like it ?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
.....like the lifetime sharp Kitchen Devil's ?

I've got some I've been using for 20 years and they're still sharp :) and never seen a hone or stone either.
Maybe not shaving sharp, but then I'm a housewife cook, not a professional chef.

cheers,
M

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
well it was just a what if post really.

Cryogenic hardening is in its infancy at the moment according to 'tinernet. Just very impressed with the flexible nature of the knives inline with the hardness, as it is often the case hardness increases when flexability decreaces.

Ps. Toddy my kitchen devil tomato knife is the most useful knife in my draw. They are good.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I'm not a fan of Cryo. Everything i have read says all it does is increase the max hardness a steel can reach by upto 3RC. From the data sheets i have for various steels, they state that using cryo will have a detrimental impact on toughness. A few knifemakers will say different though.

Cryo was orignially developed for use with machine tools, as a way to prolong the life of a tool where resharpening wasn't a consideration. They are normally big thick things with pretty steep bevels.

I would be really interested in seeing a side by side comparison of 2 blades, one cryo'd, one not, in use and under stress though. As that is really the only way to make an accurate judgement. But in my experience, hardness and toughness work on opposing scales. More hard, less tough.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
How hard are they though? Normally, kitchen knives are pretty soft in comparison to the likes of bushys. So its possible that the "high hardness" may be in the region of 56rc compared to the lower hardness of around 50 that many shop bought kitchen knives are.. If so, the cryo matters little as most steels hardened to 56 will be both flexible and hold an edge well.

Just looked at them, nowhere does it say they are hard.

http://www.jmldirect.com/uk/knives/cryotex-knives-tv-offer/invt/c14ks20100000001/

Each knife is forged using a unique cryogenic process, which exposes the blade to extreme high and low temperatures to create a cutting edge that’s tougher, stronger and sharper than any other.

Quite a statement... and yet completely untrue :)
well it was just a what if post really.

Cryogenic hardening is in its infancy at the moment according to 'tinernet. Just very impressed with the flexible nature of the knives inline with the hardness, as it is often the case hardness increases when flexability decreaces.

Ps. Toddy my kitchen devil tomato knife is the most useful knife in my draw. They are good.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Isn't a bit like when ceramic blades came out. I remember ceramic scissors coming into the hairdressing industry, everyone thought they were the bees knees. But it turned out they did need sharpened (hairs pretty abrasive) and if you did drop them they could shatter. Though I hear with hot isostatic pressing (HIP) ceramic knives are much tougher.

You just have to ask yourself what you want out of a tool these days. Minimum maintenance but tough (and hard to sharpen when you do need to do it) or easy to sharpen but may rust if you don't look after it and will wear out a lot faster. Like in the kitchen I've a set of lovely Global knives, but more often than not I use my old high carbon carvers that have been in the family for a couple of generations.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
well hillbill I did catch it on the infomercial at about 4.30 on the Jml slot. As for it being in it's infancy and hardness etc I got that straight of wikipedia. On the JML channel the chef had a boning knife that was as flexible as a credit card. Factory sharp is one thing I know goatboy, its hard to cart a milling machine with you, how hard is it to hand grind a razor ? I like ceramic knives as they arn't as fussy about them at airports.

Edit:

google "cryotex hard" . Sorry about that, must have been overcome with shopping frenzy, I ordered 3 sets. Cunning advertising publicity and the weak constitutioned !

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE