Crusader mk 2 problems

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
For years I have used the crusader mk1 and nothing else. Thought I would try the mk2 anodised and have being using it the last couple of weeks but it leaves a bad taste to the water.

Anyone Else experienced this?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Not with a Crusader, but the Primus Litech kettle and frying pan I have had this taste. As it’s ano it’s not a coating as such like non-stick so can be heated pretty hot without damage. Not red hot, aluminium doesn’t like that, but hot. That and usage got rid of it.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I've got the LiTech kettle. Not noticed a strange taste at all. Maybe my taste buds aren't as discerning.....

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
One of the symptoms of corona-19 is losing one's sense of taste. We should tell the government about a bushcraft Test and Trace system :)

Reactions: oldtimer
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I've been using a mk2 for a few years, must admit that i haven't noticed a taste from it. Silly question i presume, but you aren't storing anything within it are you (or if you are storing it on a a waterbottle, that hasn't been contaminated)? I remember my days as a young scout eating from trangia pans that had almost always been liberally marinaded in meths!

Reactions: Erbswurst

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I've been using a mk2 for a few years, must admit that i haven't noticed a taste from it. Silly question i presume, but you aren't storing anything within it are you (or if you are storing it on a a waterbottle, that hasn't been contaminated)? I remember my days as a young scout eating from trangia pans that had almost always been liberally marinaded in meths!

Or hexifuel if you don’t mind waiting half an hour for a cuppa that tastes vaguely like fish. :D

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
How do you find the mug otherwise? I've been really pleased (admittedly, yours flavouring the water is a rather large negative!) - the different shape and bigger size seems to make it a slightly more agreeable substitute for a cooking pot, and i'm not sure if it is just my imagination, but it does seem to come to the boil on a fair a fair bit quicker than my mk1 (which i still use alongside it).

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Anodized Al surface is fairly microporous (depending on previous treatment) so in some cases it catches tastes and smells. Maybe a Palinka treatment might get rid of it. :)

Reactions: Erbswurst

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Boiled the water with a Swedish gel stove , made tea in a separate mug tasted awful. Back to the mark 1 and Hexi for me 100%

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
How do you find the mug otherwise? I've been really pleased (admittedly, yours flavouring the water is a rather large negative!) - the different shape and bigger size seems to make it a slightly more agreeable substitute for a cooking pot, and i'm not sure if it is just my imagination, but it does seem to come to the boil on a fair a fair bit quicker than my mk1 (which i still use alongside it).

Liked the size especially for meals. Yes even with rubbish Swedish gel stove did boil very quickly. but I think the mk1 is more bombproof. I will use it and persist with it as my 2nd stove/mug . Hope the tastes will disappear with usage.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I tried (notice the past tense there...) the Mark 2 and didn't rate it at all, really. The thing that annoyed me about it was the shape of the bottom: the Mk 1's bottom is flat, which makes it easier to eat out of and easier to clean, etc.; the Mk 2 has that curved channel around its edge with a flat section in the middle which, for me, just doesn't work. I'm not sure I liked the increased capacity, either.

The stainless Mk 1 may bring water to the boil slower, due to the conductivity thing, but it is, in my opinion, a hugely superior piece of kit and, for that reason, it retains its place in my pack as mug, pot and companion. I reckon that the creation of the Mk 2 is a classic case of, "If it ain't bust, don't fix it" but some, I'm sure, will love it and enjoy using it. I would be interested to see a carbon copy of the Mk 1 made out of titanium but whether anyone will ever make it is another thing entirely!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE