Crumpets and coffee on an open fire!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 23, 2017
Scotland
Over the last 2 years, whenever I get the chance I always try and go build a fire and cook something. I started doing it with my friends but they slowly grew tired of it, but I didn't! So now, whenever I have a day off, I'll head out into the woods and relax!

I follow bushcraft hannels like joerobinetbushcraft, TAoutdoors, scrambledO etc... and they inspired me to start making my own videos. I have 3 videos up now and each of them are getting progressively better.

In episode 1, I don't engage very much with the people watching... but I guess that video was to get a feel for shooting what I'm doing and what-not. I venture into the woods near my home and cook a steak straight up on the coals of my fire. The intro in this video is far too long though (2ish minutes)...

In episode 2, I learned from where I went wrong in my first video and interacted more with the audience and explained what I was doing and why. I cooked burgers on a rock, and draped my bacon on a stick over the fire.

In episode 3, I filmed on Sunday when it was nice and sunny! I cooked chipolattas and crumpets and brewed some coffee over my fire. I think this is my best video so far. I will post it below.

Obviously, I want my channel to grow so I'm trying to engage more with relevant communities... but in the mean time, I'm also just enjoying the whole process of shooting and editing to share my experience with people (especially city people who don't do this sort of stuff :rolleyes: ) lol

I really do care about what you guys think of my videos so leave some feedback if you want!

[video=youtube_share;ed5pKlyQkeY]https://youtu.be/ed5pKlyQkeY[/video]

Edit: I guess a good question for me to ask would be - What do you guys want to see in my future videos? Building, fire prep, more outdoor cooking, a big base camp project?

Last edited:

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Fair play to you for making the video's, I'll have a watch when I get home today. I appreciate how hard it can be to do what you want to do in the woods while also trying to make a decent video. I also subscribe to those other channels that you mention and it's clear that they put a lot of prep into their videos, framing shots, getting the angles right and organising kit. I especially like TA Outdoors videos when he's out with his Dad - funny guys.

As far as future content is concerned, just focus on what you want to do and enjoy doing. It sounds stupid but there's no point making videos about things that you might not be as enthusiastic about.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
I've taken my espresso maker on occasional camping trips when I fancy some fresh coffee. The little 3 cup espresso makers don't take up much space in the pack, aren't especially heavy and make for a nice treat.

Mar 23, 2017
Scotland
Thanks for the responses guys

Yeah I do take that with me!! I've taken my tablet before too and watched a bit of netflix while I enjoy my food lol... ah technology !!

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Great job really well put together. Subbed you and checked out your other videos. Lots of lovely imagery's and verity of shots. The sounds good too.

Your doing great for your third video, keep doing what your doing an enjoy being out and sharing.
Cheers Tim

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
Good stuff! I also take my little espresso pot.

Your camera really does not like the dark though does it. I have the same problem so im looking at the small LED video lights.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2017
Scotland
Yeah it's a Galaxy s6 and can shoot 60fps in 1920x1080 and up to 4k (although the file size for 4k is insane... 600mbs or something!)

I'm looking at DSLR's at the moment, might get the canon 100d for my videos as it has high ISO capabilities

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
The Panasonic GH3 can be had for good money now and it has weather sealing which the 100D lacks.

In all hosety though. I would invest and learn in lighting and colour correction before investing in a new camera. I think you are a lot of the way there and if you pick up those skills now you will reap the rewards when you invest in a new camera.

What ever you do, keep having fun!

Mar 23, 2017
Scotland
The Panasonic GH3 can be had for good money now and it has weather sealing which the 100D lacks.

In all hosety though. I would invest and learn in lighting and colour correction before investing in a new camera. I think you are a lot of the way there and if you pick up those skills now you will reap the rewards when you invest in a new camera.

What ever you do, keep having fun!

You think I should just keep using my galaxy then?

And yeah, I'm considering a go pro too, are they good for low light though? And what can you do with them in the way of lighting / mics etc?

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
I would keep filming on your phine if thats what your using, the camera quality is less important that the story and the sound quality.

if you want to invest and still use your S6 then invest in audio as that the biggest turn off for a video. you can keep it simple with the Rode Mic Me.

improving light is never a bad idea. So if you want to do something about it go for a couple of Newer CN 160 LED (last well on the AA batteries)

ValeTudoGuy

Nomad
Mar 8, 2017
Preston, England
You think I should just keep using my galaxy then?

For now, yes.

I say this because if you invest in lighting, sound (as Tank points out) and knowledge... It will be a smaller financial outlay right now and by the time you need a new camera you will know exactly what you want from it and are less likely to regret such a pivotal purchase.

The content is key and you seem to be doing pretty well on that front in these early videos... However, at some point I would imagine that to keep the content flowing and interesting you may need to invest in some equipment to review etc. And not knowing your budget I can only assume that buying a camera could eat into that.

All the best

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Good vid :)

A quick tip if you are gonna keep using your phone to record your trips. Mine started playing up in cold and damp weather.. wasn't happy when the temps dropped lol.

I was thinking about putting in a water proof case but i'd of lost the sound. You'd be best off buying a dedicated camera for long term use.

Mar 23, 2017
Scotland
Thanks for the replies folks! These are all very good points. I'll look into the lighting side of things more and audio. I've noticed my phone's mic is more sensitive when the screen is facing me (obviously mics on the front for phone calls)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE