Crossbow ban?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Link to the UK Governments 'call for evidence', i.e. a chance for people to have their say.

This call for evidence aims to seek information and evidence about whether further controls on crossbows should be introduced on public safety grounds. The information gathered from this call for evidence will help inform evidence based policy advice and future decisions by the Home Secretary and Ministers.

This call for evidence closes at 11:55pm on 9 April 2024

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I have crossbows and enjoy them.
But I can't help but feel crossbows CAN appeal to a certain demographic more than bows.

Especially when so easily purchased over the internet without requiring a licence

That being said - I have no idea how one could effectively construct a legal framework to realistically maintain and enforce something of merit.

The hypocrisy ( for me ) is that whilst it concerns me how easy it is for some ( making a judgement ) I still want to have retain the ability to purchase what I want when I want without legal hurdles to jump through. I guess because I selfishly consider myself responsible.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I have crossbows and enjoy them.
But I can't help but feel crossbows CAN appeal to a certain demographic more than bows.

Especially when so easily purchased over the internet without requiring a licence

That being said - I have no idea how one could effectively construct a legal framework to realistically maintain and enforce something of merit.

The hypocrisy ( for me ) is that whilst it concerns me how easy it is for some ( making a judgement ) I still want to have retain the ability to purchase what I want when I want without legal hurdles to jump through. I guess because I selfishly consider myself responsible.
Perhaps another aspect is that a crossbow is far easier to operate effectively as a weapon than a longbow is. Very little training or practice is required to be effective. But all of these comments are as old as time, qv crossbows being seen as “evil”, and “an instrument of the devil”. In the end it’s not the instruments but the people wielding them, and their intent. I doubt there’s anything the government can do about them.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Well, there is still something good coming from UK; good ales. There is a pub in our capital Helsinki that serves real ale from UK. And a few times per year when I visit Helsinki I go there for a pint or two. One of my favourite non-real ales is Jaipur IPA by Thornbridge brewery.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Kerro sen nimi muillekin. (How about naming it.)
Kitty´s. And also Angleterre (I think).

Kitty´s don´t have real ale summertime, only the colder months.

And even if they have, they are sometimes without for a day or two when they change cask and the beer have to settle (or something like that, I´m no expert on the subject).
So it is a bit of gamble.

Reactions: CLEM

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE