Cross bladed axe looks sweet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CumbrianLad

Nomad
May 5, 2016
Carlisle
[video=youtube;xSszI0RVTIA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSszI0RVTIA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Just thought I'd share this

Last edited by a moderator:

johntarmac

May 17, 2015
Herts
If you watch the video frame by frame you see the log split exactly where the 'extensions' strike it. Judging from the position of knot and how much he turned the log my guess is he has not struck it along the lines.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I could see a crack on the top of the log.... but if he had sectioned the wood previously, it likely would have split on the end grain before being split.

Um, no

As others noted in the comments, that log had already been split. You could see the split lines in the vid.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I could see the "crack" at the top of the log but to be honest they just looked like the natural crack lines I always look for before splitting with a regular axe. A chunk of firewood that small would split that easily no matter what axe you use; the only difference being the secondary, perpendicular split (which was also perpendicular to the crack I saw anyway.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Looked like old dry pine. Pops apart easily. Almost always natural splits develop for wise people to follow.
If he had a stack of 2-3 old car tires, the split pieces would not have been scattered.

That axe head design follows the splitter head on many brands of hydraulic fire wood splitters.
Look at the log pieces in my avatar, about 16" thick. Manpower and a hand axe isn't worth it.

CumbrianLad

Nomad
May 5, 2016
Carlisle
Sorry for wasting your time guys just thought it was a good video but I guess it was one of them to good to be true items

Sorry again people ill try not to post thongs that are a waste of time in the future

Sent from my VF-795 using Tapatalk

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
Its always interesting to see what others try to find an angle on an old problem. If it really did work then the old timers who did split wood by hand commercially would have done it and there would be plenty of examples about. They didn't because in reality KISS is better.

For small quantities a classic splitting maul is perfectly great. Any more then get a machine.

Dec 10, 2015
South Wales
Sorry for wasting your time guys just thought it was a good video but I guess it was one of them to good to be true items

Sorry again people ill try not to post thongs that are a waste of time in the future

Stop being soft. It was still an interesting video to watch and I for one enjoyed it.

CumbrianLad

Nomad
May 5, 2016
Carlisle
I enjoyed it and I don't think it was staged. Not neccessarilt an axe I'd want personally (I just don't like uni-taskers)
Makes perfect sense mate no point in spending a bit of money on a tool only fit for one job when there is tools that can do that and much more cheers again mate

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK

Oh I liked your posting the link. Things like that generate discussion and thinking.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
The 20 ton splitter i use came with removable side plates for a four way split. They are on small dry pine but they soon got on my nerves for bigger stuff, they came off after the first hour or so and not been back on since

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE