Crook Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scrumpy

Forager
Mar 18, 2008
Silverstone
www.predatorsport.co.uk
I have been reading past posts about crook knives and the one that stands out is a Del Stubbs imported from America for about 25 quid, I just need something pretty OK to have a go at basic carving like spoons etc. Is the Del Stubbs really going to make any difference over the Frosts 162 - 164 as the Frosts are less than half the price?

xavierdoc

Apr 5, 2006
SW Wales
A Del stubbs is one of the knives in "The great Hook knife passaround" viewable here:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29840

It has only just started (with me :) ) but I much prefer the Del Stubbs offering over the Frosts, so far. Other knives are also on test. I couldn't tell you the costs though, as Robin Wood and Doctorspoon have organised the passaround.

There are entry criteria for the passaround in the original post (in the "edged tools" section).

Cheerio

Earlyturtle

Forager
Nov 5, 2007
Bristol, England
All round better carver. Frosts are great in so far as being a cheap introduction to carving, but in my experience they don't arrive in a particularly sharp condition (However, this means they're good for learning how to sharpen spoon knives, and the steel does sharpen well).
What I'll say about the Del Stubbs is that:
-Mine arrived in a very sharp condition, so I was up to my knees in shavings about ten minutes after opening it.
-It's got a better shape for getting through wood, and the rounded back is useful if you use your left hand to push the blade whilst holding the handle in your right.
-The handle is comfier and prettier (mine is birdeye maple).

As you say you're looking for something basic I'd say go with the Frosts and enjoy the learning experience, but if you have the money and know you're going to be doing a lot of carving then I recommend Del's knives.

Mike

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
Get the Del stubs, I just bought one of his sloyd knives. great little knife carves wood better than any other knife I have tried, and I have tried a few.

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE