Crook knife/spoon knife sharpening

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi Guys,

I hve an old Mora spoon knife and the blade needs some serious work on it.

Its well beyond my skills to try and sort it out and give it a sharpen, I was wondering if I could pay any of you lovely people to have a look and give it a sharpen for me?

Like I say happy to pay postage each way and also for doing the job.

Cheers
Steve

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I dont want to sound rude or ungracious, but if you cant get around to learning the skills to sharpen the hook knife, you wont have much of a result using one either. The hand/eye coordination skill needed to sharpen is transferable to actual carving (awareness of angles, muscle memory, repetion of strokes etc) For those knives to work really well you need to hone them every 1/2 hour or so. Its really not hard. Sean Hellman and Robin Wood among others, have produced useful how to instructions. All you need is emery paper, leather and metal polish. Dont be discouraged! Bikes and cars, probaly seem impossible when you first see them and dont know how to drive them, but in time we all learn....:)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I too suffer from an inability to sharpen my hook knives as well as I would like! Ordinary knives are not a prob for me - but spoon knives... argh!
Perhaps I am not the greatest spoon carver in the world - but my spoons sell OK....
Keep trying to get the hang of the sharpening and if all else fails do what I do and get someone to do a major refettling of your spoonies at the Moot and struggle with your own less than perfect sharpening in the meantime :)

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I have owned a pair of mora hooks (162 and 163) for 5 or 6 years IIRC. When they were factory new I reduced the thickness of the blade (the rib on the outside of the curve) to make it more of a radius than a triangle, and rounded off the square corners on the tips of the blades. I used a dremel and emory paper for that. I think I used a oilstone to remove the grinding marks, then stropped it on leather to acheive a fine surgical edge. Ever since then I have kept the knives in condition just using 2 leather strops, a straight board one for the outer raduis and a slim cone shaped one for the inside radius's. I never had to use any grinder or emory on them again since the initial fettle. Every 20 minutes or 1/2 hour a few swipes keeps it just right, I use solvol autosol on the leather, sometimes I add ground up waterstone dust into it as well. To be fair, the edge holds up better on soft woods like alder or willow, less so on tougher woods such as cherry or beech. These are the onlly 2 hooks I have used extensively. The 164 (the one with the evil curly tip) I broke quickly and never replaced. I have more recently been using a Davis Brothers custom made little hook knife which promises to be a fantastic tool. I have no experience of any other makes

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I hear what you are saying - for me it is the act of actually following the curve of the blade evenly - I get facets and dull spots no matter what sharpening system I use ... I guess it is my dodgy wrists in play...

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I hve an old Mora spoon knife and the blade needs some serious work on it.

Its well beyond my skills to try and sort it out and give it a sharpen, I was wondering if I could pay any of you lovely people to have a look and give it a sharpen for me?

Like I say happy to pay postage each way and also for doing the job.

Cheers
Steve

Steve

Unless you are going to learn to sharpen it there is no point having someone do it for you. Id just take it to the next meet you are at and let one of the blade meisters loose on it so you can see what is being done and learn from the experience. Either that or sell it blunt :D

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
My latest idea, which I've yet to try out is to get some flower arranging foam and carve a trench out with my spoon knife, harden it with PVA glue. Then line the trench with micromesh and use that to sharpen

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I find if you use a smaller dowel with various grades of paper then you end up with an un-even edge.
Its best to chose a dowel size just short of the radius of the hook. This means you do more of the edge in one go making it more even.
Still like John I am not the best at sharpening hooks but they are still effective.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Once sharp, it's dead easy to keep them hair popping with a paddle strop and some leather glued onto some dowel for the inner.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
My latest idea, which I've yet to try out is to get some flower arranging foam and carve a trench out with my spoon knife, harden it with PVA glue. Then line the trench with micromesh and use that to sharpen

You know I've had almost the exact same idea! If you do try be sure to keep us informed :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE