Crook knife recommendations

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Hi all,

Iv tried out a mora double sided crook knife (I think it's the 164?) and it's ok but Its just not working for me.

I was wondering if anyone can recommend me any? I like a double edged one so its two in one :)

40 quid maximum (if that's possible)

Thanks all!
Tom

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
I highly recommend This community's Dave Budd for crook knives, I got a left and right handed and find them great.

like you I started with the two edged mora, whic ironicly enough snapped about half way around the curve, and I've gotten on great with it since.

I also recenlty handled a lauri hook blade, but have yet to use it in anger, so can't ettest to it yet.

atb,
Ste

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
I got on great with my Mora after removing the beveled adge. I got a Dave Budd hook and then another on. then I purchased a left and right which he does with a curved cross section. (They have been polished and just need handled 2 year on:eek:)

Sure there will be more opinions soon.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There's enough of a sweep to make farrier's knives quite useful, revise the bevels to 12 degrees.
PacNW crooked knives are surface hafted. The handles don't get in the way like a more scandinavian, center-hafted blade.

One merit of this long-standing bladesmith is that you can buy the blades and haft them on handles which fit your hands.

http://kestreltool.com/index.html

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've seen the farrier's knives from 10 different brands. They are all very similar, I guess, in order to do the job required.
Some Pacific Northwest native carvers use them. That's how I went in that direction. I have Mora (Sweden), Diamond (Taiwan), Ukal (France) and Hall (Canada).
Plus four of "Haida-style" blades. All surface-hafted into my own handles except for my original pair of Mora 171.
The traditional design is double edged, many shapes/sweeps and commonly a pointed sharp tip.
What did I learn about the farrier's blades?
1. Revised to 12 degrees, any and all of them are OK for carving soft cedar and much harder dry birch.
2. A skinny blade is better than a wide blade for carving around inside tighter circles.
3. Single edges are good = change hands and push on the dull spine of the blade with your other thumb.
4. Factory handles are just fine for a lifetime. I wanted to explore the PacNW handle shapes so I hafted many of those blades in my own handles.
5. New Hall farrier's knives are $50 each for me. I can drive 5 miles out of the village and buy a used Hall from our local farrier for $5.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Those Kestrel knives look very well made. I have a mora 163, modified, ground off the edge, and it works very well now. But my favorite is my Ben Orfod mocotaugan.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks for the link to SDjarv. Their prices are reasonable. Very pleased to see that you can buy blades alone (let a bladesmith BE a bladesmith)
to haft in handles which fit your hands. Typically center-hafted, a Scandanavian characteristic.
PacNW blades are surface hafted in which I think that there's an advantage for carving.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE