Crook knife question.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TFan

Tenderfoot
Nov 3, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Having decided to to move on from just camping to a little more bushcrafting, I was browsing Amazon for useful books. In the "customers who bought this also bought...." section I notice the Mora 164 crook knife. I'd quite like try try and carve my first spoon but noticed in the details that this knife was decribed as right-handed. Can anyone tell me if there is a left-handed version available from Mora or elsewhere?

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Funny you bring that up, I bought one (dunno the brand) a year ago not knowing much about them but I think I purchased a LH one by mistake. I presumed you were supposed to cut away from the body but things I've seen recently suggest otherwise (anyone?). I'll be honest I've not had the opportunity to use it yet but if that is the case I'll happily swap or sell it.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I presumed you were supposed to cut away from the body but things I've seen recently suggest otherwise (anyone?).
Whilst in most cases of knife use, "cut away from the body" is a sensible safety feature, spoon knives are somewhat different.
Spoon knives tend to be used to cut across the grain inside the bowl of your spoon. They are used with very little movement with arms and hands braced against your body and themsleves to prevent slipping - though that in itself wont stop you taking a slice off yourself! Take things easy, take your time and don't try to do too much at one time!
Many people reccommend grinding the sharp point off a 164 as it has been known to pierce the pad of the opposite thumb if it does slip!

HTH

Ogri the trog

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
Frosts make great straight bladed knives, and their sloyd knives are superb. Their spoon knives aren't. If you can swing the cash, look at Svante Djarv, Hans Karlsson and Ben Orforf to name but three.

Cheers

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
yes what they aid above ive got both but the svord is much better to use regards dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE