Critters that visit a deer carcass at night

dwolfhunter

Jan 27, 2011
Virginia, USA
Fishers are related to Martens...so yeah, good sized (say about the size of a small dog) weasel. The cat is most likely a Bobcat. Nice to see that the Porcupines are alive and well in the North country as well. Great pics.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
The fisher is a largish martin ( AKA fishing martin: martes pennanti) completely unknown in the UK, they average around 5 kilos but can go up to around 8.....they are one species that will readily hunt porcupines & have in some areas been (re)introduced in some states to control the porc-u-pine populations......they will also attack cats & small dogs....for the brits, just imagine a dark brown ferret 5x bigger.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
The snow is so deep now that almost nothing is moving in the woods.

SUNP0013.jpg

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Put out a pile of fish guts for bait a couple days ago. Something ate the fish, and someone stole the camera. Followed the footprints to a road. Think I'll put out something attractive to thieves, aim a new camera at it, and a second camera watching the first. Any clever ideas?

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Put out a pile of fish guts for bait a couple days ago. Something ate the fish, and someone stole the camera. Followed the footprints to a road. Think I'll put out something attractive to thieves, aim a new camera at it, and a second camera watching the first. Any clever ideas?

link a wire cable to a sawn of 12g loaded with rock salt, that should sort out the ribbin gits........

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Great pics Oblio13! Last two:

Gray fox and crotchety old new england surveyor! Any size info on the coyote. From the looks of it, it is a young one. Y'all get some big boys up there approaching 100+ lbs. Most taken, and then studied, from your region have "hybrid" gray wolf genetics. Great stuff! Would love a PM of any coyote pics you might have, if you don't mind.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Great pics Oblio13! Last two:

Gray fox and crotchety old new england surveyor! Any size info on the coyote. From the looks of it, it is a young one. Y'all get some big boys up there approaching 100+ lbs. Most taken, and then studied, from your region have "hybrid" gray wolf genetics. Great stuff! Would love a PM of any coyote pics you might have, if you don't mind.

Gorden, I may have mis-understood your post, if I have I'm sorry, but it looks to me as though you were stating that there are 100 lbs+ coyotes walking about, ........a slight exaggeration, don't you think ?..Fact & fantasy often merge where certain wild animals are concerned.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE