Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Doesn't look very appetising, does it?
IMGP0817.jpg

However...

Crispy Fried Jew's Ears

Take a good bowlful of Jew's Ears, and chop them fairly finely, until the biggest bits are no more than half an inch across.
Stick them in a pan, and cover with sunflower oil.
Heat it up.
The Jew's Ears will pop and splutter, so make sure you have a good lid on the pan.
Cook until the majority of the popping stops, and most of the steam stops coming out of the pan, by which time the ears should be crispy.
Drain well, and allow to cool slightly.
Season well with sea salt, fresh black pepper, and ground garlic flakes.
Serve like crispy seaweed, or just do what I'm doing and guzzle them like a packet of crisps.

Delicious.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
very cool! last time I tried cooking them I was 16 and didn't slice or slit them.. they went kaboom!

they are very interesting though and I do enjoy their texture when still on the tree :)

xylaria

cool thanks for that, I too have attempted to cook jews ear whole in frying pan with explosive results.
I am going to try them with either seaweed or sowthistle fake seaweed [which is wierdly better then the real thing] next time I see them.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I've made this twice now, and really enjoy it. The main downside is that a large bowl of ears makes a very small bowl of crispy bits. They must be over 90% water.

Still, what else are you going to do with them? Pickle them? :rolleyes:

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Not mine... But sounds good :)

Jew’s Ear Broth with Sorrel and Ginger. (Serves 2)
This broth is designed to be good for the immune system: whilst creating a warming feeling within from the gentle heat of ginger, it also has added boost of a healthy dose of vitamin C from the lemon juice and a pleasant burst of citrus from the sorrel leaves. An excellent starter for a foraged dinner party!
100g Jew’s Ear fungus
A thumb-size piece of ginger (chopped into thin slivers)
500ml of water
1 Beef stock cube
1 TBSP Soy Sauce
2 TBSP rice wine vinegar (or cider vinegar)
1tsp of sugar
Juice of half a lemon
Handful of Sorrel leaves
First, Wash the fungi and slice into thin strips. Bring the water to the boil and add the stock cube, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, ginger and finally the Jew’s ears.
Simmer gently for 30 minutes. Before serving add the juice from the lemon, give the broth a good stir and dish up. Sprinkle a handful of sorrel leaves over the top and consume.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Saw what I think is Jews Ear fungus today, what do you think?

004-11.jpg

003-19.jpg

Most of it was growing on Elder but I also saw it on Birch, does that sound right?

Steve.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
That's jews ear, and yes, dead elder is its usual habitat, although it does crop up on other species - my first crop of the year was from grey poplar.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Just an update on this thread.

Yesterday I found this across a path in the nature reserve that I'm warden of.
IMGP1452.jpg
A closer look - oh good!
IMGP1454.jpg
Some work followed to clear it all up using my laplander saw and a fiskars hatchet.
IMGP1457.jpg
At home, I found I had collected this much (after chopping). Egg for scale.
IMGP1466.jpg
After crispy frying I had this much. The reduction in quantity is extreme, and rather depressing, but the flavour is lovely.
IMGP1468.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE