Crinkle crags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nik and I have been planning to do an overnight at Crinkle crags for about a year now. The route was up park at Old Dungeon Ghyll Hotel and then up Oxendale, then to Red Tarn, across Crinkle Crags and camp at Three Tarns. Then next morning either head back via The Band or if feeling up for it follow the route of Bow Fell to Esk Pike then Esk Hause then Rossett Pike and then down back into the valley and back to the car. It was originally planned for last September but about a week before we went I prolapsed 2 disks in my back. Then it was set for early June and on the morning of departure we had to cancel due to a family issue. So we rearranged it for this weekend and then saw the forecast :(

Not to be put off by the forecast and feeling 3rd time lucky we set off on Saturday morning from just east of Leeds heading towards the Lake District. With the odd shower as we drove along we joked it would be fine and clear up but it didn't.

We were not in a rush as the walk planned was not going to be a long one, more a chance for Nik to do his first wild camp (ever) and also my first camp on a fell.

We got to the Old Dungeon Ghyll Hotel at about 11 am which has a National Trust car park where we could leave the car whilst we were on the fells. We got a quick coffee at the hotel and then decided to a spare MRE for lunch the car park as the Old Dungeon Ghyll did not serve lunch until 12 and we wanted to be on our way. Out we went to the car and then the heavens opened. Lunch was eaten under the shelter of the car boot (The Sloppy Joe MRE was not bad) and once the mess from lunch was squared away we set off.

IMG_20140719_122358.jpg

The rain had lightened by this point, our packs were heavy but our spirits were high.
We went along the road to Stool End.

IMG_20140719_122908.jpg

and through the farm then up along Oxendale following the path and crossing the stream on the bridge.

IMG_20140719_130006.jpg

Crossing the bridge

Then the ascent towards Red Tarn started and the rain stopped so it was off with water proofs and on with uphill.

IMG_20140719_130025.jpg

The view of the assent.

I had been having issue with my water bladder and it having lots of air bubbles in it so as we both had been felling it heading up the hill we took a break for cup of tea and to have a look at my water bladder. I had got an in-line filter system so I could get water from the becks or tarns without any issue. The problem was I had not tightened the fittings enough round the filter so it had been leaking in my rucksack but luckily Nik had a Leatherman so I could tighten it. With this fixed and fortified by the cup of tea we pushed on. Only to have to pause 10 minutes later to put the water proofs on again as the rain started again. It took long then we had planned to get up as far as Red Tarn but again we were not in a rush as we planned to camp at Three Tarns and still had plenty of daylight to get there.

As we turned away from Red Tarn and started to head towards the first Crinkle the clouds started to come in and then just as quick go away. I stopped at stream to top up my water bladder and then continued.

IMG_20140719_150511.jpg

Great Knott. (no pics after this as was to wet for the camera)

By the time we got to Great Knott my knees were aching a little so we stopped for another hot drink and as we did the weather really came in so we packed up quick and pushed on.
As we got the base of the first Crinkles the weather ramped up even more. A lot stronger wind, very heavy rain and hail and the visibility kept dropping to less than 10 ft. Now neither of us had ever walked the route from Crinkle Crags to Three Tarns so we had a discussion as what to do next and came up with the following options.
a/ Crack on, its only a bit of rain what’s the worst that can happen.
b/ Wait it out where we were, Nik had a tent and I had a bivi.
c/ Turn round and head back.
Analysis of the options:
a/ Thick cloud, very wet ground, running water on the paths – not a good idea.
b/ Cloud we can live with but the ground was soaked and would have had to pitched in puddle.
c/ The only sensible option. We are doing the walk/camp for fun not because we have to.

We choose c/ and turned round and headed back down the way we had been, the only difference was now the path was a stream.
The little stream where I has stopped to fill my water bladder on the way up was now a lot faster flowing. It was a little shocking how quick it had changed.

We got back to Red Tarn and the rain had stopped and we considered camping there and finishing the walk in the morning but both of us were very wet and again so was the ground so we began our final descent down in to the valley. The views at this point over to the Langdales was amazing as they were in brilliant sunshine whilst the peaks just behind us were still in cloud.
Once we got down to the valley floor and looked back at Crinkle Crags we knew we had made the right decision as the peaks were still in and out of thick clouds and a damp night in a bivi would not have been fun.

Not to be put off we are planning again to do this route and hopefully 4[SUP]th[/SUP] time lucky we will succeed.
We were happy with the walk, we learned we could do it carrying the kit required (which I had been a little worried about as my bag felt heavy) and we could keep a level head and make a sensible decision rather than being gung ho and possibly putting ourselves and potentially others at risk.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Great report! I think you did the most sensible option too. I've been to the old dungeon ghyll aswell! :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I did part of my ML assessment on Crinkle Crags - summer ticket done in snow conditions! - and the Crags are beautiful in moonlight!
In the conditions you describe they would not be so great and you made the right choice IMHO :)
Better luck next time!

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Yer made the right choice me n a few friends were lost up on the crinkles for about 4 hours once.it was about five years ago we got turned around in some pea soup n didn't know we're the hell we were.scared the living day lights out of me thought I was up their fer the night at one point.we'd only gone for the day hike so wasn't really prepped for an overnighter.we laugh about it now but it was far from funny at the time.yer made a good choice well done

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Amazing how quickly the weather changes there.

Here is the walk up from Coniston at around 17:00

20140512_161000_zps1aalidjv.jpg

And about 2 hours later

20140512_203727_zpsn7x8lefd.jpg

We went from hiking in a base layer so around 20c to around 5c in those 2 hours.

That's a decent hike for one day, must be over 15 miles on tough terrain as well, well done both of you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE