Cree Hunters of Mistassini.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
Cree Hunters of Mistassini
http://www.nfb.ca/film/cree_hunters/

Boyce Richardson, Tony Ianzelo, 1974, 57 min 55 s

An NFB crew filmed a group of three families, Cree hunters from Mistassini. Since times predating agriculture, this First Nations people have gone to the bush of the James Bay and Ungava Bay area to hunt. We see the building of the winter camp, the hunting and the rhythms of Cree family life.

WARNING THERE IS KILLING, SKINING AND BUTCHERING OF ANIMALS IN THE FILM.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Well I just watched the first half, will watch the rest tommorrow. Its quite an eeire experience as my sound doesnt work so its like a silent movie with a blast of white text every now and then. The people seem very stoical, and focussed. I loved seeing the little toddler using the axe, it seemed so natural-no one shouting STOP you might HURT YOURSELF!! The log lodge was interesting, the amount of internal space they got from the relatively small number of logs. They were all grafters, even the teenage girls. One thing I thought was odd-they seemed very particular about stripping the bark off the fire wood-maybe to get it to dry faster? I am looking forward to part 2 any ways.
Thanks for posting the link:)
cheers mr D

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
This one is interesting too

http://www.nfb.ca/film/Cesars_Bark_Canoe/

I mean awesome :) . This man is a fantastic craftsman-artist. Watch his skill at riving spruce roots perfectly in 2, incredible skill and feel, sensing when they are running off and pulling either with teeth or fingers as necessary to correct it. And how he splits the birch for the prow and stern, brilliant awareness of his materials. He uses a large crook knife to shape seats, paddles, ribs etc. I liked the mini canoe/box type container he uses to gather pine resin off the trees. Fascinating also how he manipulates the resin/fat mix with his finger and thumb like a sort of weld to seal the joins in the paper birch. And not least the brilliant silhouette drawings of bear, moose, salmon etc on the boat. Definately worth a watch. Thanks for posting the web site to begin with Angus :cool:

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Awesome film. Shows you what skill and expertise really look like - carving the snow shovels, making the little boy's snow shoes etc.
There's a short follow up article about the main hunter from the film here. Thanks for posting this.

gunslinger

Nomad
Sep 5, 2008
Devon
Have watched the "Cree hunters" and "Cesars Birchbark canoe" both are excellent so just deciding what to watch next ;)

GS

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I didnt know that, thanks for the tip!
They had an interesting set up with 2 woodburning stoves side by side, they hung a beaver between them to roast it.
Definately worth a look, highly recommeneded:)

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
I saw "Cree Hunters" when it was first produced, and have had a copy of it for years. Glad at least some of the old knowledge is being recorded before it's lost. Thanks for the canoe link, and the update on Sam Blacksmith.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Just wanted to bump this thread, I keep watching the film About Cesar making a canoe, it is fascinating in the extreme! also nice to see the use of a folding knife:p

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Another site well worth looking up. Lots of videos, on canoe making, drum making, snow shoes making...and lots of info on a Native group of people who do their best to keep their skills and traditions alive. Also shows adaptability: the canoe building videos are particularly interesting, being a mix of traditional and modern material. You never know, The snowshoes may soon prove to be a usefull skill to have!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE