Credit where it's due

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
As has been mentioned a few times recently, we are all very happy to kick off and start new threads about bad service from companies, but seem to be loathe to give credit to those companies that go the extra mile for their customers.

In this case, i want to sing the praises of Regatta Ltd, about six months ago, i bought a pair of Regatta Cayman Gaiters from my local branch of The Range, ok they are not Goretex gaiters or anything so posh, but they are perfect for light use and therefore more than good enough for use on the South Downs, where we don't go bushwhacking or walking through bogs and quagmires.

Up until the end of Feb the gaiters served me well, they were always comfortable and i never had an issue with them, apart from a small amount of condensation, but id rather have that, than soaking wet trews.

Towards the back end of February i went to put the gaiters on and the zip slider, well, it fell off as the metal it was made from was an awful cheap alloy that was so soft i could bend it with my fingers, this obviously rendered the gaiters as useless.

I therefore went back down to where i had bought them, but because i hadn't got the receipt The Range wouldn't entertain a refund or replacement, ok, fair do's, without that receipt, there was no proof i had bought them there, so i got in touch with Regatta and explained to them what had happened to the gaiters and the problems i had encountered at The Range.

I then had a brief email exchange with a a couple of people in the Regatta Customer Services, who were always pleasant and very helpful and today, a brand new pair of Gaiters arrived with a nice cover letter from Regatta, so Phil & Nicole from Regatta, stand up and take a bow, you are an example of how it should be done and a credit to your employer - thank you.

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
Totally agree, not enough praise is given when people do actually go the extra mile. Good job Phil and Nicole.

I've never got on with long gaiters, always make me sweat buckets. I think what I ended up using is the Trekmates ankle length gaiters (can't remember the specific name they gave them) bloody good ones they are though, for the money. Those Regatta ones do look good though, and in the future I would definitely give them a go for the price, and after hearing this tale!

Edit - These are they. Looking on their site they seem to be one of the few they make that has a leather under strap and not an elastic one (I'd steer clear of elastic), anyway as they're discounted atm thought someone might appreciate the bargain.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've worked for a large number of top 10 retailers.

None of them would have such a returns policy on faulty goods. Indeed it is arguable that to expect receipt retention for such a period is "unreasonable".

Fly by night retailers operate on the principle that you will not sue them.

I do.

They never turn up to contest in the small claims court.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I'm planning a trip down to Endicotts on sunday, so as per the website I sent them an email asking to confirm their opening times for this sunday.

Email sent at 8.30pm last night, not expecting a reply until the morning at earliest, but I had a reply by 9pm the same evening from Kevin Endicott confirming the times, and asking was there something in particular that I was after, because if so he'd make sure to get a few good ones out from stores for me. Also said he'd do me a small freebie just for travelling from South Wales.

Now, it has been said before about Endicotts, but that is just brilliant customer service. :cool:

Given the title of this thread, maybe (if the op doesn't mind) we could make this a general thread for reporting good customer service.

Last edited:

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
Wow, Harvestman, that is impressive!

I wish there was a tripadvisor kind of site for outdoors suppliers. I mean you do get to know after a while, I have about 30 bookmarked, labelled ones for free postage etc, but it would be awesome to have a site for it.

Edit, just realised, I guess that's what Trustpilot is for lol.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Right, I'm just back from my trip to Endicotts, and I want to say, yet again, what utterly brilliant service kevin Endicott gives. It was beyond first class.

I found a box of hand-selected items waiting for me to pick through, got a personal tour of the shop, and he even shut the shop for 5 minutes whilst he helped me find a free parking spot! Added to that I got a bag of small freebies as a sort of birthday present (the trip was to spend my birthday money) and then he did me a brilliant deal on what I came for as well.

I emerged with a big thick Dutch blanket, and thinner and slightly frayed British blanket as fabric for projects or possibly a wool cloak (just because), a canvas and leather haversack, a woolly pully, a pair of lanolin-rich 100% wool Czech army socks, and some more modern 80% wool Danish socks. Plus a hank of paracord thrown in. I even got a great big cardboard box to put it all in, which is great because my wife is helping a friend move house next week so she was delighted when I came home and presented her with the box as a gift (odd woman, my wife :rolleyes:).

Best customer service I've ever had, and I can't recommend Endicotts highly enough. I will definitely be a repeat customer as soon as I get some more funds together.

Kevin Endicott :You_Rock_:thankyou:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE