Crayfish

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Ok. Im new here, and Im sure its been done many times before, but bear with me...
Could anyone tell me if I need a license to catch crayfish with a string and bacon rind, and does anyone know any good spots (and is willing to share) In the Dedham/Ardleigh/Manningtree Area of North Essex?
Id be interested in trapping them too, but Im not sure where to start with the whole licensing issue. Do you need to find out where they are before applying? Ive also heard that it is very hard to actually get a license.
I recently met a forager, who reckoned that the string/bacon method was VERY sucessful.

May 17, 2012
crewkerne somerset
hi,
i have been tring to get a licence to trap crayfish in somerset...taunton/crewkerne/ilminster/yeovil area, i have been told by the enviroment agency/ southwest water that i need to get the landowners permission so i can get a licence,but they wont be able to tell me where i can find the crayfish in order to get permission from the landowner without a licence. im stuck!

Angus

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
So why do you need a license to catch a pest ? its not as if they look anything like our native ones

Jason

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
String /bacon is good, string/chicken leg is better ;) gives a real buzz once you've caught a few using your hand to grab em :thumbup:

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk 2

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Simple answer... you don't. There's no licence requirement to catch them whatsoever - only if you use TRAPS or other fixed engines (e.g. fyke nets) do you need a licence.

Thanks for the info ,so you can catch them the same way you catch crabs with a line with some baits a few at a time ,which would hardly make a dent in there numbers ,but as soon as you put a net or trap of some sort which has a chance of lowering there numbers , you need a license ...now that seems nuts to me
These critters are pests which are seriously damaging fish stocks in our rivers which are just recovering from the polution we had been pumping into them for years

Jason

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
I've been looking into this too and thinking about possibly casting out some bicycle wheel nets. There was a survey map on concentrations of all sorts of species somewhere...just can't find it at the moment, but I found that alot of them are pretty close to home. Closer to the sea than I thought they'd get too. My Mum's partner is a carp fisherman and says the fisheries are riddled with them and that they eat all the bait.

Aren't they more active at night being that kind of predator?

I wonder too that if we eat up all the big ones, it's only half the problem solved because what about the smaller ones in the larval stages, etc? Perhaps some sort of larvae eating, steroid pumped super fish is necessary ;)

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Ok. Im new here, and Im sure its been done many times before, but bear with me...
Could anyone tell me if I need a license to catch crayfish with a string and bacon rind, and does anyone know any good spots (and is willing to share) In the Dedham/Ardleigh/Manningtree Area of North Essex?
Id be interested in trapping them too, but Im not sure where to start with the whole licensing issue. Do you need to find out where they are before applying? Ive also heard that it is very hard to actually get a license.
I recently met a forager, who reckoned that the string/bacon method was VERY sucessful.

Hi, good to see a new local member, If your interested theres a group up and nearly crawing near you

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84745&page=10

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
As others have said, should be fine to catch them without a licence providing you don't use a tunnel type trap or net. If you can make sure you keep only the larger (and tastier) American Signal crayfish as these are the invasive species!

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Thanks for the info ,so you can catch them the same way you catch crabs with a line with some baits a few at a time ,which would hardly make a dent in there numbers ,but as soon as you put a net or trap of some sort which has a chance of lowering there numbers , you need a license ...now that seems nuts to me
These critters are pests which are seriously damaging fish stocks in our rivers which are just recovering from the polution we had been pumping into them for years

Jason

No, that's not what I said. You can fish for them with a net, just not a fixed net from which they, or more importantly anything else which might get accidentally caught in it, cannot escape. A trap is something from which self release is difficult or impossible or which is typically left unattended - this poses a danger to other, non-target, species some of which might be endangered themselves. It doesn't take very many accidentally caught and drowned water voles, otters, kingfishers etc. etc. etc. to totally undermine any potential positive from catching signal crayfish.

I've used drop nets plenty of times, I once had 14 crays in under 5 minutes and they're just as effective, when used correctly, as a trap.

Cheers!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE