crayfish

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
Hi Elma
Nice catch.
Penyfan pond?

Yea bloody thousands of them up there, I had one on a wet fly last week, the buggers were even eating the trout out of an old net I used to keep my catch in :rant:
I fish the evenings and put the pot down & collect it on the way to work in the morning.
where abouts are you Nigel

bandel4

Forager
Nov 19, 2008
Malaysia
www.sepuh-crafts.com
not a bad nights work, this little lot came from a pond near me

creyfish002.jpg

creyfish004.jpg

Huh?!! Is this even possible?
Wow...!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
not a bad nights work, this little lot came from a pond near me

creyfish002.jpg

Got my license in teh post today
only took a week and a half

Now you need a pot and a pair of your girlfriends pink crotchless panties and you're away!

Sorry couldn't resist. Are they common in all waterways, like canals? My folks have a narrowboat we stay on and I fancy a munch on these. I tried a bit of string and a bit of peperami but didn't get any.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
yee gods out of a canal? were you trying to catch every disease known to man? hehe
where would i find a list of where signal crayfish can be found? i'd love to go out and get me some!

Gabe

Forager
Aug 10, 2008
Bridgend, South Wales
Does anyone know of infestations within the rivers of South Wales? I've heard of them up Pen y Fan lake but are they else where? Not overly looking to catch the little buggers (although I have taken the number for the licensing office) just interested really!!

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
they look yummy, i wanna try this myself once i find a place to trap them.

anyone know a good tutorial for making the traps? im a bit too low budget to buy one

TJ

Jul 1, 2009
brighton, uk
okay, i have two questions:

1) how much did the licence cost Ruvio?

2) is there a list of where to find crayfish around the UK? mainly i'm interested in places around brighton, and places in shropshire/welsh border area - any tips?

cheers y'all. M.

Aug 10, 2009
Guildford
The license is free and you can find them in most waterways in the south, getting less the farther north you go.

Oh, first post so Hi All:)

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
When I was a boy, we used to get a bamboo pole and tie a string on the end and then tie a piece of bacon rind on the end of the string.

Bacon rind works very well because it is so tough that it does not dissolve in the water and the crayfish (crawdads in the South) cant tear it up.

We used to pull them out of farm ponds about as fast as you could take one off and get the line back in the water.

The most efficient way to get them however, is to seine them. Nevertheless, a seine will not work very well on a rocky bottom. But, if the bottom is smooth or sandy or muddy, you can pull out a whole seine full in one quick drag.

Just eat the tail. It is the only really meaty part, the cephalathorax contains nothing that you would most likely want and the meat in the claw is too little to be bothered with. Having said that, I have seen people boil them, pull the head off and suck out the contents of the cephalathorax. To each his own.

Bon apetite!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE